What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka
Oh sorry, I've summoned you by mentioning the precious council who need you to defend them on the forum. The council made big announcements about them taking it back in house, and were even going to take out a £50m loan to purchase the properties to demolish.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-takes-troubled-shopping-development-into-its-own-hands-1-6663514

Next month the council’s Cabinet will finalise structuring the property deal, which could include finding investors or funding the scheme directly.

So they were prepared to fund it all themselves. I'm glad they didn't. I stand by what I said, the total failure of Sevenstones is what has caused the city centre to be left behind by other large cities and it's the fault of the council that it happened. It was their project. They were managing it. They failed.

Bit confusing.....

You say the council were going to spend £400m.

I say that's unlikely and that amount of money would more likely come from developer investment.

You reply telling me I am wrong and that I am defending the council, and then in support of this statement post a link to a £50m property purchase which could have been funded by a developer.

Ok then.

You reply telling me I am wrong and that I am defending the council, and then in support of this statement post a link to a £50m property purchase which could have been funded by a developer.

Dear councilfan,

In the link I gave was this line:

Sheffield Council will spend £55m purchasing the remaining properties in a key area of the city centre between Pinstone Street, Moorhead and Barkers Pool

Now, where does that say 'could have been funded by a developer'?

Why are you arguing about funding of a dead project instead of actually acknowledging the failure of the council driven Sevenstones project and the negative impact it has had on the city centre?

Guest makapaka
Dear councilfan,

In the link I gave was this line:

Sheffield Council will spend £55m purchasing the remaining properties in a key area of the city centre between Pinstone Street, Moorhead and Barkers Pool

Now, where does that say 'could have been funded by a developer'?

Why are you arguing about funding of a dead project instead of actually acknowledging the failure of the council driven Sevenstones project and the negative impact it has had on the city centre?

What caused the Sevenstone project to fail?

This is the bit you posted about the funding

“Next month the council’s Cabinet will finalise structuring the property deal, which could include finding investors or funding the scheme directly.”

Edited by makapaka

What caused the Sevenstone project to fail?

The council failed to procure a developer who could actually deliver what they wanted. You'll defend the council to the hilt like always, but the buck stops with them as it was their scheme and they managed it.

Guest makapaka
The council failed to procure a developer who could actually deliver what they wanted. You'll defend the council to the hilt like always, but the buck stops with them as it was their scheme and they managed it.

So you blame the council for not being able to deliver Sevenstone?

So you blame the council for not being able to deliver Sevenstone?

Yes. They are responsible for it.

If an organisation fails to deliver on something because they employed a poor sub contractor to do the job, the blame is ultimately on the organisation.

Guest makapaka
Yes. They are responsible for it.

If an organisation fails to deliver on something because they employed a poor sub contractor to do the job, the blame is ultimately on the organisation.

You don't think the withdrawal of central government funding had anything to do with it then? Or the Great Recession in 2008?

You think it's just the councils fault and if someone disagrees then they must be a "councilfan".

You don't think the withdrawal of central government funding had anything to do with it then? Or the Great Recession in 2008?

You think it's just the councils fault and if someone disagrees then they must be a "councilfan".

The Great Recession :hihi::hihi:

Like I said, the responsibility falls on the council, regardless of the other factors. Those other factors might make things difficult, but it doesn't absolve responsibility. Perhaps you think that other projects that the council is delivering via the use of a third party are also not the council's responsibility and the council should not be held to account?

It *is* the council's fault. I called you a 'councilfan' because you defend them at every opportunity, like you are here.

I think at the time a number of people were quick to point out the continued construction of similar projects by the builder - including one in Leeds.

Mod Note

Please attack the argument and not the person making it.

The thread will be reopened shortly when you've all had chance to read this.

--EDIT--

Thread reopened

Edited by esme

It's weird as a non-Sheffield native to see the bickering about SCC. The simple fact of the matter is that cities get the councils they deserve. Sheffield people will vote Labour forever, irrespective of their genuine political views, and while that unquestioning loyalty remains and people vote the way they always do because their ma and pa voted that way too, there is no chance at all of Sheffield developing in the way more forward thinking cities have.