What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

If you cant discuss a topic without resorting to personal comments and insults then please dont post.

Also, if you want to discuss begging then please do so on current thread.

Back on topic please.

Thank you.

Edited by nikki-red

I had a discussion with a friend about giving money vs food to someone begging. I was of the opinion that I didn't want to give them money that they could spend on drugs or alcohol.

They pointed out that drugs or alcohol are primarily used by people on the street as self medication, it's possibly the one single thing that they actually still enjoy in life, so am I giving them some money to make them feel better or to make me feel better. If they want to buy Tenents Super, why is that a problem for me?

I don't give money to beggars who I see persistently day in/day out in the same spot, with no belongings with them.

But I will on occasion give money or a sandwich to someone who isn't there everyday and more than likely has a sleeping bag and small bag of belongings with them.

Well that's the standard argument that is heard time and time again - its nonsense though really. Do you really want to be helping someone kill themselves, and continue the cycle, when they could maybe seek help and turn their lives on? If you had a relative who was an alcoholic you really wouldn't go out and buy them a bottle of vodka constantly, after all.

It's the 'so what if they want to kill themselves?' argument. I personally hope we live in a society that isn't that uncaring - and I certainly don't want my money going into the hands of a vicious and exploitative drug dealer. Or worse. I'm amazed people would thing otherwise really. The 'oh it's the only enjoyment they get thing' is remarkable, when you think about it. No one wants to be a drug or drink alcoholic, after all. You never hear "things are going great, since I've started taking drugs."

Bear in mind that sleeping bags are standard 'working tools' as they are referred to in the begging world, so are used as props by many. If you genuinely feel someone is homeless, but them a sandwich, or speak to them and direct them to a charity. If you get the "they don't help anyone" line, that's usually a sign they're not homeless at all. Also - bear in mind how low the homeless figures are in Sheffield, and how there is a system in place for anyone that is homeless that will see them off the streets very, very quickly if they choose to engage.

If you want to help - give to a charity you like, or even better, buy a Big Issue. The Big Issue is struggling to engage people because of the continued begging, so could really do with any help at present.

All this sort of information should be more publicised really, if any clear-up of the city centre is going to be effective. The more people know the reality of things, the less likely they are to give, and encourage the problems/

I would also prefer that my money didn't go to exploitative drug dealers, so lets decriminalise drug use and give addicts prescriptions for their substance.

I can't make someone seek help obviously, and withholding charity from them isn't going to improve their chances at all.

"IF they choose to engage" is a big if isn't it. These people aren't homeless by choice, they commonly have mental health problems and the find engaging with agencies and charities to be difficult.

I would also prefer that my money didn't go to exploitative drug dealers, so lets decriminalise drug use and give addicts prescriptions for their substance.

I can't make someone seek help obviously, and withholding charity from them isn't going to improve their chances at all.

"IF they choose to engage" is a big if isn't it. These people aren't homeless by choice, they commonly have mental health problems and the find engaging with agencies and charities to be difficult.

Well that's a different argument altogether!

Some have mental health difficulties - but I think people will be surprised at why 'homeless' people turn down accommodation.

Common reasons are:

"It's too far for me to walk into town"

"I don't want to register for housing benefit"

"It says I have to do my own cleaning, and I'm not doing that"

"I prefer rough sleeping"

"I've been to so and so's house, and they have a better one, so I'm not staying here"

I wish I was joking or exaggerating on this too! It's remarkable.

There really is very little reason to be homeless in Sheffield. Having said that - mental health support is shockingly underfunded.

Sheffield City Centre is brilliant. It has all the top shops and a wonderful array of bars and eating establishments. We are very lucky to live in such a wonderfully diverse and cultured city.

Sheffield City Centre is brilliant. It has all the top shops and a wonderful array of bars and eating establishments. We are very lucky to live in such a wonderfully diverse and cultured city.

The tourist board will have that!

I think a lot of people might disagree on the "all the top shops" bit. Aren't most of them at Meadowhall?!

Here Here.

.....in my opinion.... not a lot! other cities not a million miles from here have real class stores. What do we get when the Moor was revamped, Peacocks and Primark! Says it all really.

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the quotation a sent earlier...

"Atkinsons is good. Just about the last independent department store in the north of England."

Edited by Geo-atkinson
Typo

I thought this was about the city centre

I wonder how many people who slate the city centre actually spend much time there aside from passing through.

I started taking my kids to Sheffield Centre on the bus on a Saturday and they absolutely love it and always ask when can we go again. There’s always something going on on a Saturday to entertain them.

Recently had a night in Manchester for the Foo Fighters concert and although it was midweek I couldn’t believe that after 11.30pm we couldn’t find a single pub or eatery open in the Northern Quarter (the supposed place to be). If that was Sheffield and there was a high occupancy concert happening most of the pubs and eateries would take advantage and have a late licence in place. Manchester just didn’t seem interested.

And as for rough sleepers, never seen so many in my life, one in almost every doorway. Sheffield has no where near the amount that I saw in Manchester.

Edited by steroc

Well for a start Meadowhall isn't there!

I wonder how many people who slate the city centre actually spend much time there aside from passing through.

I started taking my kids to Sheffield Centre on the bus on a Saturday and they absolutely love it and always ask when can we go again. There’s always something going on on a Saturday to entertain them.

Recently had a night in Manchester for the Foo Fighters concert and although it was midweek I couldn’t believe that after 11.30pm we couldn’t find a single pub or eatery open in the Northern Quarter (the supposed place to be). If that was Sheffield and there was a high occupancy concert happening most of the pubs and eateries would take advantage and have a late licence in place. Manchester just didn’t seem interested.

And as for rough sleepers, never seen so many in my life, one in almost every doorway. Sheffield has no where near the amount that I saw in Manchester.

I was out in Manchester in the northern quarter a few weeks ago....scruffy, the part I was in at any rate.