What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Guest makapaka
Lived here all my life, think its a dump, always have and will be out at the first opportunity.

What opportunity are you waiting for?

What opportunity are you waiting for?

Somewhere else to be a better option, as it stands it's pretty similar most places, oh, and lack of funds is the main thing at the moment...

So, Sheffield is a dump, but everywhere else is a dump as well? And even if everywhere wasn't a dump, you can't afford to move (but you can afford to stay)...

I'm not from Sheffield so maybe I've missed some hidden gems in Sheffield city centre. Now as the so-called 4th biggest city in UK ( but I'm sure Glasgow and Leeds are much bigger?) I expected much more. In my home city even the very worst rundown markets have more variety and cheaper prices. All I wanted to find was maybe some exotic fruits like Guanabana's and Papayas. I understand Sheffield is more of a Pie & Chips town and generally hates foreigners, but with the glowing reports on diversity all over council websites, I found it abysmal.

The Peace and Winter Gardens was nice but after an hour you've seen it all. No museums, the cathedral was closed and except for those few Georgian houses at back of Cathedral & Park Hill flats, dull predictable architecture and hardly any shops, so what is so amazing about Sheffield's central zone?

is the museum still shut? what about the botanical gardens?

Museums

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/

Botanical gardens

http://www.sbg.org.uk/

Art galleries

https://www.creativetourist.com/sheffield/art-galleries-sheffield/

Cathedral

http://www.sheffieldcathedral.org/

dont get me started on clubs, pubs, bars, cafes, restaurants

I'm not from Sheffield so maybe I've missed some hidden gems in Sheffield city centre. Now as the so-called 4th biggest city in UK ( but I'm sure Glasgow and Leeds are much bigger?) I expected much more. In my home city even the very worst rundown markets have more variety and cheaper prices. All I wanted to find was maybe some exotic fruits like Guanabana's and Papayas. I understand Sheffield is more of a Pie & Chips town and generally hates foreigners, but with the glowing reports on diversity all over council websites, I found it abysmal.

The Peace and Winter Gardens was nice but after an hour you've seen it all. No museums, the cathedral was closed and except for those few Georgian houses at back of Cathedral & Park Hill flats, dull predictable architecture and hardly any shops, so what is so amazing about Sheffield's central zone?

Agree with you, I too think Sheffield city centre is a dump. Last year took a visitor from France to town and was embarrassed by state of it. Apart from areas around Town Hall rest is a total mess. Successive years of Labour councillors have all contributed to its decline.

Guest makapaka
Agree with you, I too think Sheffield city centre is a dump. Last year took a visitor from France to town and was embarrassed by state of it. Apart from areas around Town Hall rest is a total mess. Successive years of Labour councillors have all contributed to its decline.

What do you think to Leeds town centre as a comparison?

You ask what's so good about Sheffield city centre?

Well you don't get slowed down by having to waste time in quality, high end retailers. Now if you want a pound shop, pound bakery, bookies or want to stare into windows of empty shops displaying photos of how vibrant the city centre once was, then Sheffield's the place for you.

We have got massive street trees a thriving Market area along with a brilliant athletics stadium and ski slopes ,what more could one ask.

We have got massive street trees a thriving Market area along with a brilliant athletics stadium and ski slopes ,what more could one ask.

Free city bus.

Lived here all my life, think its a dump, always have and will be out at the first opportunity.

To where though? What floats your boat? seaside, busy like London, quiet like Norfolk?

albert has his hook baited, and he's waiting for a big bite :hihi: