The biggest killer of men under 45

Another worrying thing is the rise in children committing suicide, as a parent of an child with Aspergers it is cause for concern but children right across the spectrum are increasingly taking their own life.

There is a BBC 3 program on iPlayer, young lad and parking fines. So tragic.

Suicide.

Shocking isn't it? Not fast cars, not drugs, not dangerous sports, not cancer, not war.

Suicide. Hanged, suffocated, strangulated, poisoned, fell, drowned, shot, stabbed. The biggest killer of young men and something that's studiously ignored by almost all of us until it gets one of us that we know.

My male suicide count is 3, female 1, what's yours? What's to be done to help young men stay alive and thrive in society?

Appreciate you opening this thread very much. I work in a role where I support people going through all sorts of situations and unfortunately (male) suicide occurs so much more than people think. It certainly has been an eye-opener for me as I haven't had to deal with it in my direct environment.

This calendar year alone I have encountered three situations where people have lost a loved one due to suicide and it is devastating to those involved.

I think one of the keys to beginning to prevent suicide is by providing workplaces and places of education where people feel and know they can turn to someone in case darkness sets in. Unfortunately, in my experience, the biggest problem for those with mental health issues is a reluctance to 'admit' a problem and then a reluctance to reach out for help.

Even if the NHS is weak in mental health, Universities and large employers have services available. Please don't be afraid to seek out help if you need it.

I suppose it's a testament to improved public health and public safety, but it is an area that most people aren't particularly aware of (although I've seen it going around on facebook for a few years now, so awareness must be increasing).

I don't know what if any root cause analysis has been done, for example does it disproportionately affect one area of society, does being poor increase the risk, or rich? Does education level affect the risk, or perhaps ethnicity, or even location (rural/urban, north/south, etc)...

That's an interesting question. For a lot of years, apparently suicide rates were highest in farmers and vets, both of which can be solitary occupations and both with easy access to lethal means.

My two most recent links with suicides have both been women in their 40s. One case was related to post natal depression. The other? Well, you'd have thought she had absolutely everything to live for. It just goes to show you can never tell.

That's an interesting question. For a lot of years, apparently suicide rates were highest in farmers and vets, both of which can be solitary occupations and both with easy access to lethal means.

My two most recent links with suicides have both been women in their 40s. One case was related to post natal depression. The other? Well, you'd have thought she had absolutely everything to live for. It just goes to show you can never tell.

Vets were the profession with highest rate of suicide for a while. I think solitude had a lot to do with it, but it must be tough for an animal lover to keep putting, sometimes healthy, animals down.

I had a good friend commit suicide but I think it was down to deeper psychological issues.

Vets were the profession with highest rate of suicide for a while. I think solitude had a lot to do with it, but it must be tough for an animal lover to keep putting, sometimes healthy, animals down.

Easy access to the meds store is probably a significant factor.

The popularity of marijuana among young men can lead to paranoia , which in turn can lead to suicide.

The popularity of marijuana among young men can lead to paranoia , which in turn can lead to suicide.

Over the last 20 years I've lost 5 good friends due to this.

Another issue is debt. Most people who can't afford their own home have to pay very high rents to private landlords. They also have to pay high council tax bills. Although they shouldn't, many men feel it is their responsibility to pay rather than sharing it with wife or partner.

I don't know how people on benefits cope. Their benefits have been cut enormously since 2010, while bills have gone up enormously at the same time!

Over the last 20 years I've lost 5 good friends due to this.

Another issue is debt. Most people who can't afford their own home have to pay very high rents to private landlords. They also have to pay high council tax bills. Although they shouldn't, many men feel it is their responsibility to pay rather than sharing it with wife or partner.

I don't know how people on benefits cope. Their benefits have been cut enormously since 2010, while bills have gone up enormously at the same time!

I agree. Educating young people to understand that we are all responsible for ourselves, our partners and children would be a start. It's no longer just 'a man's job' to provide. Unfortunately that's still the culture in some parts of our society. Often the response to any sign of weakness is being told to 'man up'. Not helpful to anyone, particularly if they're struggling with their mental health.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Male suicide is going up, and if men feel they have no purpose in life then whats the point in carrying on

You must get to a certain age in life as a man and think "things aren't going to improve"

Perhaps this is the root cause in the increase in male suicide?

---------- Post added 30-05-2018 at 16:02 ----------

Many men who are in their 20s now will stand no chance of doing the things that current 50 something men took for granted

Hence this sad statistic is only going to increase in years to come

How is this different for women, why would the factors you are using to explain the trend not just apply to people?

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 08:33 ----------

I had a good friend commit suicide but I think it was down to deeper psychological issues.

Isn't it dentists now though, or are they just high on the list?

Very different to farmers and vets though, dentists spend all day with patients, much like GPs, although the conversations are more one sided, with just "uhhgu, huh, nngg" as the answer from the patient.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 08:34 ----------

Well, that's an interesting one.

I suppose we'd need to establish multiple things here.

a) marijuana more popular today than in the past (doubtful, compared with the 60's)

b) more popular amongst men than women (I can see this being true)

c) actually causes significant increase in paranoia which actually leads to suicidal thoughts...

There is a BBC 3 program on iPlayer, young lad and parking fines. So tragic.

Thank you for that, just read the story about the lad, Jerome Rodgers, absolutely tragic.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 17:49 ----------

Well, that's an interesting one.

I suppose we'd need to establish multiple things here.

a) marijuana more popular today than in the past (doubtful, compared with the 60's)

b) more popular amongst men than women (I can see this being true)

c) actually causes significant increase in paranoia which actually leads to suicidal thoughts...

I would imagine it is more popular now than ever before, probably by a very large margin.

Could it also be a fact that in many marriage break ups that it is the man who is frequently likely to find themselves homeless while still paying a mortgage or rent for his wife and children to live in.I know a couple of lads that found themselves in this situation.In both cases they were not the adulterers.