Where to have bicycle fixed?

GT Bike repairs on Worrygoose Roundabout Rotherham

GT Bike repairs on Worrygoose Roundabout Rotherham

The poster lives in S6 SHEFFIELD..!

We have plenty of bike shops in Sheffield. No need to go all the way to Rotherham...!

Langsett Cycles...

The poster lives in S6 SHEFFIELD..!

We have plenty of bike shops in Sheffield. No need to go all the way to Rotherham...!

Firstly you don't always get quality in your own town sometimes you have to travel a little further and these guys have a excellent reputation.

Secondly poster doesn't state just Sheffield.

Third why not comment on the poster about Dronfield? That is not in Sheffield either

I am a big fan of A E Butterworth's on Abbeydale Road, for bicycle repairs.

I've got a carbon fibre mountain bike which I paid over £2000 for, maybe 15 years ago now. It's obviously had a fair bit of wear and tear over the years and I dropped it into James's cycles and asked them if they could service it and mentioned that one of the gears was slipping a bit when hill-climbing.

They took a look at it and said it needed over £200 of repairs, on top of the service, and that it would take them a couple of weeks before they could get round to doing it.

Dejected, I decided not to bother. I took the bike home and wondered what would be the best thing to do with it now? Should I try and sell it? Or maybe I should just scrap it? Instead I dropped it into A E Butterworth's on Abbeydale Road.

He took a quick look at it and made some minor adjustment to the gearing and fixed that literally on the spot as I waited. I went through the list of things that James's had said were worn out and needing replacing and he said none of them are critical. He tightened a few things up and made some other adjustments and 10 minutes later I was walking out the shop with my bike. He didn't even want to charge me! I gave him a tenner!

I've been back several times now with different bikes. Sometimes I've had to leave the bike with them, but only for a few days. Quite often they'll do it on the spot.

Excellent service! Just like it used to be back in the day.

Greenwood’s DIY Abbeylane reasonably priced repairs

Another vote for Butterworths.

I'm going to buy what I need and fix it up myself after watching some YouTube how-to video's....and when that doesn't work I'll take it to Langsett cycles :hihi:

You don't necessarily need a chain link extractor, modern bikes have snap-apart master links. If you replace chain, you will most likely need to replace back sprocket too, New chains on old sprockets jump badly. That needs a cassette tool. In terms of what to buy, decathlon get my vote in terms of stocking just about everything and being open next four minutes and tomorrow too. Their gear works, I wouldn't give it any recommendation beyond that except it's probably better than Halfords. If I may, one more recommendation for repairs is cycles in motion at Stag Works, John Street off Bramall lane. Will cost less than Langsett and it smells of cutting oil. They do a lot of bespoke building, still seem happy enough for basic repairs.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

You don't necessarily need a chain link extractor, modern bikes have snap-apart master links.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Although any new chain you buy is likely to be too long, so a chain tool will be needed to take a few links off...

You don't necessarily need a chain link extractor, modern bikes have snap-apart master links.

As pointed out above, a chain link extractor may be need to shorten the new chain to the correct length. It may also be necessary to remove the existing chain if it doesn't have a split link.

Changing the rear sprocket may not be necessary depending on what type of bike.

sprockets on rear derailleur systems tend to wear over time due to the chains constant switching between cogs. If it's a fixed speed bike then this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Edited by steroc

Find a local bike shop. I would recommend avoiding Halfords.