Can i just say..

making it nice and slippy :P

Mel, if you do get chance to speak to Andy, ask him if he remembers pretending to be a food hygiene inspecter in the Station pub on attercliffe. It is a long story but it happened after a bit of an accident with pie and peas.

Mel, if you do get chance to speak to Andy, ask him if he remembers pretending to be a food hygiene inspecter in the Station pub on attercliffe. It is a long story but it happened after a bit of an accident with pie and peas.

LOL

why are all Andys mental?

well, started today, lots of work still needed to get it up and running so im doing a lot of carrying, heavy lifting and also a hell of a lot of filling and undercoating.

Weird being on it today, sat on the deck in the sun eating mi dinner and you can see through the corner of yer eye it moving lol, also the creaking as i was working in the gift shop area at the front....yeah front, i think lol, like you get on films about ships.

Looks like its gonna be really atmospheric, the area with the grand table looks like its straight out of the films straight away

It sounds like your first day on-board was ok, Mel. Please keep us all posted.

It sounds like your first day on-board was ok, Mel. Please keep us all posted.

The magnificent journeys and journal entries of seaman melthebell

Mel, been out with friends tonight to watch the match. Andrew is definitely our old mate! Remind him about the owls away matches and Jonno and offal. Hope it brings a smile to his face? Tell him we still go in the sportsman and Albert if he ever comes back to the steel city. We all wish him well. Great bloke!

WOW more ridiculousness from the dole, sigh..

First the history, ive been on JSA for 7 months, June 5th its stopped (due to me using 178 days of a 182 day limit on contribution based JSA) so they finally (5 days late) sent me a 51 page book to fill in to apply for income based JSA, FIFTY ONE PAGES!!! nothings changed, my details are still on the system. Anyway i was umming and arring about bothering, can i survive a couple of weeks till i start work, and then 4 weeks till i get paid, not sure, maybe......anyway..

soooo ive asked if i can get help off the dole for my first 4 weeks where i wont get paid, i can get bus fares paid (thats around £29 a week i wont have to worry about) BUT theres always a but....i asked about my rent, they do pay it for 4 weeks after i start work BUT........turns out i will have to fill in this 51 page book as as it currently stands, despite still being on "contribution" based JSA and if i carry on job searching / logging and signing on i still receive NI contributions (and not getting paid) BUT...you only get the rent paid for this 4 week period IF you have been on JSA for 6 months or more (check) AND have been on an income based benefit.......sigh.

so i pay into the system, i then use it when needed, and get penalised, whereas those that havent, are fine to carry on Oo

Making people jump through hoops like that is madness.

Making people jump through hoops like that is madness.

well i started work on the ship this week (first full week complete w00p w00p, doing painting to help out, for a couple of weeks, im aching like buggery after 7 months sat on mi arse lol) and i was told i could get help with bus fares for the first 4 weeks off the dole.

AND

FFS, Monday i emailed my job "adviser", bit of toing and froing via email and in the end i said look sign me off, ill just try and go it alone, ill struggle on, they are no help, whatsoever, backs up my idea that they are only there to sanction people, NOT to help.

They wanted me to travel, an hour (both ways) just to go pick up a bus ticket from the job centre, its a full time job, either 8-4, or 9-5 currently, i dont have time and its not right to expect you to jeopardise a new start just for them.

They dont give you money via your bank for it, i also asked if i could pop in to whitbys jobcentre, its about a minute from the ship.

All she replied was, you can try but they only deal in Universal credit Oo

its not bloody rocket science, your details are on the computer system, she could use a phone and say im popping in for one, how hards that?

Anyway its now gonna be £120 for 4 weeks bus tickets that ill be paying out on top of bills but i'll survive.

Also it turns out what they said is crap about the rent, they might not help with it, but id also emailed the council and they replied that they will pay 4 weeks rent etc if i tell them what and where the job is and if its gonna last over 5 weeks which it is, sorted least theres some help, the dole are complete arseholes :rant: glad im off it.

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 18:25 ----------

Mel, been out with friends tonight to watch the match. Andrew is definitely our old mate! Remind him about the owls away matches and Jonno and offal. Hope it brings a smile to his face? Tell him we still go in the sportsman and Albert if he ever comes back to the steel city. We all wish him well. Great bloke!

I talked to Andy today, he wasnt stressed or talking to other owners, management or visitors so i managed to mention what you said lol, he laughed when i mentioned the hygiene inspector, and he remembered Jono when i mentioned the Owls away days, and the sportsman, he did smile

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 18:27 ----------

I must have sea legs too cos as the weeks gone on the movement of the ships got worse but i seem ok, was moving like buggery today, all over the shop, cabin doors opening and closing lol

Occasionly you feel a lil bit weird but i was working near the open door and kept looking out at the movement :P

Edited by melthebell

[/color]

I talked to Andy today, he wasnt stressed or talking to other owners, management or visitors so i managed to mention what you said lol, he laughed when i mentioned the hygiene inspector, and he remembered Jono when i mentioned the Owls away days, and the sportsman, he did smile

Hygiene inspector - I was going out with the landlords niece at the time. Still together 25 years later.

Away matches - if I remember correctly we stopped at Stamford on the way back from one match. Might have been Spurs! Andy managed to save one of the lads from falling off the bridge into the river. Too much beer that day I think.

Jonno - I think Andy was a good mate of his brother Mark!

Anyway Mel, I am keeping tabs on what is happening up there. Needs to be ready for 1st July I understand. Then you have got the Captain Cooke festival. Hope your job works out. :):)

[/color]

Hygiene inspector - I was going out with the landlords niece at the time. Still together 25 years later.

Away matches - if I remember correctly we stopped at Stamford on the way back from one match. Might have been Spurs! Andy managed to save one of the lads from falling off the bridge into the river. Too much beer that day I think.

Jonno - I think Andy was a good mate of his brother Mark!

Anyway Mel, I am keeping tabs on what is happening up there. Needs to be ready for 1st July I understand. Then you have got the Captain Cooke festival. Hope your job works out. :):)

i believe they are heading for the 6th - 8th July now, still a hell of a lot still to do, top decks nearly painted, bottom decks still got joinery, electric stuff, and floor fitters in, still needs painting yet and everything installing lol

They wanted to get Hirsty, Sterland a few of the old Owls onboard end of June but thats not looking likely at all