Stabbings in Sheffield May 2018

Austerity started in 2007, police cuts didn't take long to be applied.

You can even go back further. From 2001:

Police better off under the Tories

Police budgets are being slashed under Labour, with a study showing that Tony Blair has halved the annual increase to forces across England. Constabularies got twice as big a rise each year under John Major.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2001/apr/15/whitehall.westminsterandwhitehall

Not one word of criticism there for the offenders , the very people that armed themselves and took some ones life . Its the states fault

You're being way too simplistic in your understanding of offenders and your focus is too narrow and screams 'lock em up'.

Grasp the concept that society needs to rehabilitate. Otherwise prisons become full. Offenders return to crime. Courts give custodial sentences. Jailers turn keys. Eventually the offenders come out and even you can guess the next step in the sequence.

Therefore, we have to accept a collective responsibility. We have to look for a solution that works.

Punishment as severe as the law allows does not reduce crime.

Try considering how to rehabilitate offenders because they are being returned to a street where you live. The burglar is coming home. Feel safe without any prospect of him being rahabilitated?

The car thief is moving back in. Happy with the prospect that he has no job, no training, no alternative and you have a nice shiny Audi parked up. Or you did the last time you looked.

And then there's the drug dealer. A street supplier who targets schools and your 10 year old is due to move up to the local Secondary. And the 4 years in prison never saw him receive any education, learn to read or write or be trained in any useful skill.

Think about it.

Paedophiles can't be rehabilitated and who in their right mind wants them returned back into mainstream society.

And yet criminals can be turned away from crime if there is an alternative.

People on benefits can return to the work place and the dignity of independence returned to their lives if there were decent and profitable jobs. Jobs that delivered a pathway out of poverty.

There aren't enough and so we have a benefits culture.

Criminals don't recieve adequate training, rehabilitation fails them, the system fails them, and we have rising crime levels as a result.

It needs an intelligent approach. A thinking approach.

It doesn't need you bashing on about punishment. Carry on with your argument and you'll be backed into the corner of demanding a return to hanging.

And for what?

Litter dropping.

Wise up.

You're being way too simplistic in your understanding of offenders and your focus is too narrow and screams 'lock em up'.

Grasp the concept that society needs to rehabilitate. Otherwise prisons become full. Offenders return to crime. Courts give custodial sentences. Jailers turn keys. Eventually the offenders come out and even you can guess the next step in the sequence.

Therefore, we have to accept a collective responsibility. We have to look for a solution that works.

Punishment as severe as the law allows does not reduce crime.

Try considering how to rehabilitate offenders because they are being returned to a street where you live. The burglar is coming home. Feel safe without any prospect of him being rahabilitated?

The car thief is moving back in. Happy with the prospect that he has no job, no training, no alternative and you have a nice shiny Audi parked up. Or you did the last time you looked.

And then there's the drug dealer. A street supplier who targets schools and your 10 year old is due to move up to the local Secondary. And the 4 years in prison never saw him receive any education, learn to read or write or be trained in any useful skill.

Think about it.

Paedophiles can't be rehabilitated and who in their right mind wants them returned back into mainstream society.

And yet criminals can be turned away from crime if there is an alternative.

People on benefits can return to the work place and the dignity of independence returned to their lives if there were decent and profitable jobs. Jobs that delivered a pathway out of poverty.

There aren't enough and so we have a benefits culture.

Criminals don't recieve adequate training, rehabilitation fails them, the system fails them, and we have rising crime levels as a result.

It needs an intelligent approach. A thinking approach.

It doesn't need you bashing on about punishment. Carry on with your argument and you'll be backed into the corner of demanding a return to hanging.

And for what?

Litter dropping.

Wise up.

Please , before you start banging your drum , please read my posts on this thread and tell me where I have been "bashing on about punishment " ?

How do we stop knives being used in the first case, its just awful

Posts consisting of insinuations, personal comments and bickering have been removed.

If you cant post in a civil manner then please dont post at all.

Thank you.

Well, I’ve managed to resist stabbing anyone this morning, albeit slicing my strawberrys with a very sharp knife. It’s good that you don’t understand why it’s happening, neither do I, all the self appointed ‘experts’ on knife crime should contact the police, as they need all the help that they can get. :rolleyes:

I've always read people's comments before on here and there's some interesting posts, don't think there's a london forum or a Leeds one etc

Longer, tougher sentences im afraid. That's the only way message will get through. Or 'may' get through. Its the only sensible, short term solution there is.

Some of these kids will pull knives on each other for £20 debts.

The authorities need to show these kids - its not all right to carry knives - or even worse, use them as a weapon to injure.

Longer, tougher sentences im afraid. That's the only way message will get through. Or 'may' get through. Its the only sensible, short term solution there is.

The authorities need to show these kids - its not all right to carry knives - or even worse, use them as a weapon to injure.

But, I carry a knife quite often.

I use it to collect fungi, to cut string in my garden and to prune fruit bushes.

How long should I do in the big house for carrying my knife?

we used to have the death penalty, did it stop murderers?

I've always read people's comments before on here and there's some interesting posts, don't think there's a london forum or a Leeds one etc

That's because London or Leeds have nothing to offer :) , Sheffield is the centre of the universe :)

---------- Post added 02-06-2018 at 22:39 ----------

But, I carry a knife quite often.

I use it to collect fungi, to cut string in my garden and to prune fruit bushes.

How long should I do in the big house for carrying my knife?

Come on Rhyno :roll: You know there is a massive difference :(