Stabbings in Sheffield May 2018

Are you concerned because violent crime is up? (Is it, do you actually know?)

Is your child likely to be in those areas, or any area where a stabbing is more likely to happen?

Just trying to see what the underlying thrust is, as it were.

Yes, absolutely, I am concerned that violent crime, especially knife crime, appears to be a problem across the city. There seems to be more and more reports of these crimes.

Yes, my children are likely to visit areas where knife crimes have been reported as they are interested in sports which take them all over the city.

I would like them to have the freedom and independence that I enjoyed at their age, when I could go wherever my hobbies, interests, or friendships led me, without my parents feeling the need to drop me off, collect me, and give me the fourth degree on every outing I made.

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 09:19 ----------

When I was their age, it just wasn't something anyone really worried about. It was so rare to hear of a young person being stabbed in the city.

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 09:21 ----------

My teenager informed me of this, yesterday evening. It is terribly sad news.

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 09:35 ----------

If its the case these stabbings were just random attacks out of the blue, then the OP has a reason to worry.

Until then, he hasnt. Nobody knows the background to them.

I understand the point you make and am grateful for your reassurance. On the other hand though, I also am concerned for other young people in Sheffield, not just my own children. Knife crime is escalating and an increasing number of young people are arming themselves with knives and this impacts on us all.

For instance, there was a situation the other day, when I saw a small group of youths walking along Queens Road, just having visited McDonald's and they were throwing the large paper bags, burger wrappings, etc straight on the floor without a care. I instinctively moved to challenge them, in a polite and friendly way, but my partner pulled me back and said, 'don't bother, they might have knives on them'.

Edited by Lex Luthor

as sec of the local tara,its very sad theres been a stabbing on lowedges and my heart goes out to the relatives,this type of offence is on the increase unfortunately everywere and I believe will continue until more police are on the streets,lowedges is a average crime rate area for Sheffield and I hope this is a blip and something that goes away in this city and all others,they used to slice peoples faces and although that was evil at least they didn't kill anyone,we all need more police.

Yes all roads around lowedges closed due to recent stabbing of 15 year old , very sad .

It's difficult to deal in facts when Sheffield Commander, Chief Superintendent Stuart Barton, describes the deceased victim aged 15 as a "young man."

He was a boy.

A fifteen year old boy. A boy died.

It's a pretence, and a dangerous one, to be attemtping to reduce the impact of this crime. Young men, men get stabbed; it happens. But this was a child, a school boy.

Whether there's a drug related or gang connection [and there may not be ] it doesn't alter the fact that a young boy [not man] lost his life while riding his bike. Young men tend to drive cars. Some young men are involved in drug supply. But 15 year old boys go to school, do home work, get excited about a new pair of trainers and see life as fun.

This one rode a bike on a Thursday night and he died.

Perspective is also needed as the media are quick to make more of this. The descent on to the area seen already by Calendar amongst others has the agenda that Sheffield is experiencing a surge in the number of stabbings.

It isn't.

Newport in South Wales has just had five murders, all stabbings, in a week and the much hyped figures for London, well over 50 deaths in a year, has finally raised cause for concern that 'something must be done.'

Really?

Where do you begin?

Who is to blame?

With a school that fails you, jobless prospects, disappeared apprenticeships, non-existant youth clubs or youth facilities, rising levels of poverty, sink estates and being bombarded with designer goods and extravagant lifestyles it's effortless to become detached from main stream society.

If you feel you don't belong then you attach yourself to some alternative.

Add to this nihilistic mix the lack of Police Officers, community coppers, patrol cars, responding bobbies and we do have no go areas. No go because the cars are parked up in Woodseats Police Station while the Officers are producing triplicate copies for every job and then entering it all again into a complex and time consuming computer.

Add to that a 30% or more reduction in Police budgets.

The ingredients give us this increase in crime, including knife crime, now seen right up to our own front doors. We're not reading any more about something that happened elsewhere. It's arrived. It's on the door step.

Thanks must go to wonderful Teresa May, the previous Home Secretary, who not only over saw and delivered the debarcle that was Windrush but took a knife of her own to the numbers of serving Police Officers.

It is about spending. It is a result of austerity.

We need an alternative for the listless detached youth of Britain to become engaged, attached, belonging, part of main stream society with a future.

Hard working young men and women can not afford their own homes. What hope do the struggling kids from impoverished areas attending the worst schools have? This week Oxford University admits it can not attract enough lower income background students. Oxford isn't just 150 miles away. It is light years away. It remains an impossibility for so many who are failed by the State.

Failed by the environment they are born into.

Failed and neglected and forgotten and left behind and ignored.

The result is what we see. Now in your face. Just step outside.

Whatever happened on Lowedges, and right now no one knows other than a young boy tragically lost his life, there are two tragedies. One is the lost life of a young boy riding his bike and stabbed to death in the street. Whatever his prospects. Whatever his future. He had a future.

The other is the wasted life of the perpetrator who will be facing years, if not life, in prison. No doubt another young person. A life irrevocably damaged, changed, ruined by a decision made possibly in a moment.

Whatever the reasons behind this incident we can all see the fabric of a crumbling society of neglect where the incident took place. It wasn't amongst the affluent large detached houses on the leafy avenues of Dore but it was 5 minutes away in a completely different world.

I doubt Louise Haigh will be out door knocking to re-assure us any time soon. After all, isn't it all we need right now? A few kind, well placed, soothing words from the great and the good to re-assure us. It's all we're likely to get.

We just get on with it. Our voices unheard. Our lives unseen.

Edited by Owethemnowt

It's difficult to deal in facts when Sheffield Commander, Chief Superintendent Stuart Barton, describes the deceased victim aged 15 as a "young man."

He was a boy.

It's a pretence, and a dangerous one, to be attemtping to reduce the impact of this crime. Young men, men get stabbed; it happens. But this was a child, a school boy.

Whether there's a drug related or gang connection [and there may not be ] it doesn't alter the fact that a young boy [not man] lost his life while riding his bike. Young men tend to drive cars. Young men are involved in drug supply. But 15 year old boys go to school, do home work, get excited about a new pair of trainers and see life as fun.

Perspective is also needed as the media are quick to make more of this. The descent on to the area seen already by Calendar amongst others has the agenda that Sheffield is experiencing a surge in the number of stabbings.

It isn't.

Newport in South Wales has just had five murders, all stabbings, and the much hyped figures for London, well over 50 deaths in a year, has finally raised cause for concern that 'something must be done.'

Really?

Where do you begin?

Who is to blame?

With a school that fails you, jobless prospects, disappeared apprenticeships, non-existant youth clubs or youth facilities, rising levels of poverty, sink estates and being bombarded with designer goods and extravagant lifestyles it's effortless to become detached from main stream society.

Add to this nihilistic mix the lack of Police Officers, community coppers, patrol cars, responding bobbies and we do have no go areas. No go because the cars are parked up in Woodseats Police Station while the Officers are producing triplicate copies for every job and then entering it all again into a complex and time consuming computer.

The ingredients give us this increase in crime, including knife crime, now seen right up to our own front doors. We're not reading any more about something that happened elsewhere. It's arrived. It's on the door step.

Thanks must go to wonderful Teresa May, the previous Home Secretary, who not only over saw and delivered the debarcle that was Windrush but took a knife of her own to the numbers of serving Police Officers.

We need an alternative for the listless detached youth of Britain to become engaged, attached, belonging, part of main stream society with a future.

Hard working young men and women can not afford their own homes. What hope do the struggling kids from impoverished areas attending the worst schools have? This week Oxford University admits it can not attract enough lower income background students. Oxford isn't just 150 miles away. It is light years away. It remains an impossibility for so many who are failed by the State.

The result is what we see. It's arrived. On the door step.

Whatever happened on Lowedges, and right now no one knows other than a young boy lost his life, there are two tragedies. One is the lost life of a young boy riding his bike and stabbed to death in the street. Whatever the prospects. Whatever his future. He had a future.

The other is the wasted life of the perpetrator who will be facing years, if not life, in prison. No doubt another young person. A life irrevocably damaged, changed, ruined by a decision made possibly in a moment.

Whatever the reasons behind this incident we can all see the fabric of a crumbling society of neglect where the incident took place. It wasn't amongst the affluent large detached houses on the leafy avenues of Dore but it was 5 minutes away in a completely different world.

I doubt Louise Haigh will be out door knocking to re-assure us any time soon.

Excellent post

Guest makapaka

He was a boy.

Whether there's a drug related or gang connection [and there may not be ] it doesn't alter the fact that a young boy [not man] lost his life while riding his bike. Young men tend to drive cars. Some young men are involved in drug supply. But 15 year old boys go to school, do home work, get excited about a new pair of trainers and see life as fun.

It isn't.

Newport in South Wales has just had five murders, all stabbings, in a week and the much hyped figures for London, well over 50 deaths in a year, has finally raised cause for concern that 'something must be done.'

Really?

Where do you begin?

Who is to blame?

Whatever happened on Lowedges, and right now no one knows other than a young boytragically lost his life, there are two tragedies. One is the lost life of a young boy riding his bike and stabbed to death in the street. Whatever his prospects. Whatever his future. He had a future.

I doubt Louise Haigh will be out door knocking to re-assure us any time soon. After all, isn't it all we need right now? A few knd, well placed, soothing words from the great and the good to re-assure us. It's all we're likely to get.

Well done - great post.

Absolutely. Hard to disagree with any of that post.

We're seeing the result of some serious problems in society coming to the foreground.

I was near Weston Park when the air ambulance landed at about 9pm. There were several police vans parked at the entrance to the park and officers stood waiting with the pilot while the chopper was parked. Don't know why so many police were at the hospital?

Edited by Colin Foster

A number of posts and those quoting them have been removed. A child has died and their family may well read this thread. Show some respect please. This is not the place to indulge in political debate or personal sniping. Any more of this and I will be suspending accounts.

On news that a 15yr old is being held for stabbing .Very sad how many lives will be ruined by this mindless act . Also named the poor lad who has died .

Edited by parkydave

As others have said, what an excellent post by Owethemnowt.

He was a boy.

It isn't.

Really?

Where do you begin?

Who is to blame?

Whatever happened on Lowedges, and right now no one knows other than a young boytragically lost his life, there are two tragedies. One is the lost life of a young boy riding his bike and stabbed to death in the street. Whatever his prospects. Whatever his future. He had a future.

I doubt Louise Haigh will be out door knocking to re-assure us any time soon. After all, isn't it all we need right now? A few knd, well placed, soothing words from the great and the good to re-assure us. It's all we're likely to get.

I agree. 15 year old, he was a teenage BOY who had not even taken his GCSEs. I have a 14 year old who goes to Meadowhead School, it is worrying.