Grass Verge need cutting - Sheffield Council

Guest makapaka
Think this thread made The Sheffield star - something on front page about grass not being cut:hihi::hihi:

Anybody noticed Dog bins now overflowing /not emptied -feel sorry for those that live near and put up with smell .

Perhaps this Sheffield Council of ours just cant be bothered with much this year:hihi:;) or the nice weather limits the hours they can work ;)

This kind of thing gets on my nerves. Maybe the people who decide to have dogs could get rid of it themselves instead of moaning that the council aren’t clearing up after them.

They put the bins there to help - and then people moan they’re overflowing- well take it home and put it in their own bin then.

This kind of thing gets on my nerves. Maybe the people who decide to have dogs could get rid of it themselves instead of moaning that the council aren’t clearing up after them.

They put the bins there to help - and then people moan they’re overflowing- well take it home and put it in their own bin then.

Why have bins if they left full and festering and are not going to be emptied regularly ?

Guest makapaka
Why have bins if they left full and festering and are not going to be emptied regularly ?

I agree they should just get rid of them.

---------- Post added 10-06-2018 at 09:51 ----------

"Streets Ahead Account Director ,Darren But said , due to an extended period of cold weather over the winter months :huh: followed by long spells of warm weather , grass across the city has grown at an unprecedented rate " :huh: This would actually be funny if we weren't paying this clown and his cohorts wages . NO Darren the grass is growing because that's what it does , cut it regularly and we wouldn't be where we are :rant:

Totally agree with you hackey lad.

Extended period of cold weather over winter months (that will be winter Darren) followed by long periods of warm weather (that will be summer Darren).

Edited by makapaka

Yet another <removed> poor piece of journalism by The Star. Why post a picture of a garden when the article is supposedly about highway verges not getting cut?

Edited by nikki-red

:hihi::hihi: She's took it to a new level there - they used to just point and look sad!

pure lazyness :hihi: get down to B&M and buy a mower!

Am quite enjoying this overgrown verge thing. Never seen so many insects enjoying the delights of daisies. buttercups and various other wildflowers. Even the grass is providing nectar.

Have let my garden get out of hand this year and am surprised by the results. There's knapweed, woundwort, vetch, oxeye daisies, cranesbill, birds foot trefoil, purple loosestrife and the various grasses that are crawling with bees, butterflies and hoverflies.

Owt could be living in amongst the undergrowth. That's not to mention the 'planned' planting … roses, pear, apple, rhododendron, red current, foxglove and lupin.

Seems I have a monopoly on wildlife around here. Gardens either side are manicured and lifeless. Mine? Neglected this year but a haven.

Leave those verges SCC. Let's put wildlife before us humans for a change.

Edted to add:

The lass with the funny hair, specs and expression really ought to move herself a few feet to her left and observe what's happening in her garden. Mind you, to her, a bee is probably the second (or maybe third) letter of the alphabet ….bless her.

Edited by mad-dad
shoddy punctuation

So funny. “The uncut grass outside my windows is causing me anxiety”

Well heres a suggestion.... get a pair of gardening shears and get it cut then!! :hihi:

I'm going to dissent from the majority here - I think it's absolutely brilliant that the verges aren't being cut!

We are facing an ecological apocalypse. So many species of insects and birds are in a nosedive decline. Meadow and grassland species have been particularly badly hit. By treating verges effectively as meadows, and mowing less frequently, we can massively increase the amount of a threatened habitat - which will work wonders for butterflies, moths, bees, birds.

An uncut verge might look untidy for the first couple of years - but provided it is cut at the right time, after plants have seeded, the species diversity will increase and you'll end up with a lovely host of wild plants and flowers. If you look at some of the verges in the Peak District, they are full of beautiful flowers, including a host of orchids. So much prettier than a 1970s monoculture grass verge! (The visual equivalent of the avocado bathroom suite, surely).

Of course, it needs to be done sensibly. We need to cut if there are safety concerns or problems with visibility. We need to make sure paths are clear and that access isn't impeded. But we could do those things and still leave huge tracts unmowed.

And the money that is saved? That can be put into the services that really matter - like health and social care. In a constrained resource environment, do we want cut verges or do we want better dementia care? I think there's only one sensible answer to that question.

Are we saving any money?

Has a discount been negotiated with Amey who are required to provide this service as part of the PFI contract?

A guy on a ride-on mower has just been to look at our verges but as the grass is about 1cm long, brown and dead, there was nothing for him to actually do. Still, I'm sure he will enjoy his day driving round in the sun!