Grass Verge need cutting - Sheffield Council

If there were actual wildflowers growing on the verges , then maybe I would agree with you but they are covered with dandelions , not exactly a shortage of them for the bees is there ?

I listened to an interesting program about this only in the last few days and it seems that the flowers aren't growing because the verges are mowed and the clippings increase the nitrogen content of the soil so that only a few species such as dandelions, buttercups, daisies and of course the grass survive. I'll see if I can find it for you.

I'm seeing overgrown verges with fresh eyes. Let em grow.

I listened to an interesting program about this only in the last few days and it seems that the flowers aren't growing because the verges are mowed and the clippings increase the nitrogen content of the soil so that only a few species such as dandelions, buttercups, daisies and of course the grass survive. I'll see if I can find it for you.

I'm seeing overgrown verges with fresh eyes. Let em grow.

If you mow then remove all the stuff you've mown the nitrogen doesn't go back into the soil. But that takes effort and was probably outwith the contract.

Dandelions, nettles, daisies etc etc are all wild flowers and so have good properties but they can become overwhelming and their growth prevents other wild flowers from prospering.

Proper wildflower management is needed but I don't think the council a) Can be bothered and b) Have the knowledge base to do this.

I still recall the council destroying rare yellow rattle on The Ponderosa because they thought it was just weeds.

The council could adopt some sort of incentive for people to cut there own verges instead of paying Amey outrageous fees.

If you mow then remove all the stuff you've mown the nitrogen doesn't go back into the soil. But that takes effort and was probably outwith the contract.

I don't;the think it's reasonable to expect councils to take away grass clippings so we're left with either an environmentally barren landscape or letting it grow wilder.

I've definitely had my mind changed and if I could trust them not to badly cut the verges around me I would let them grow out too instead of mowing them myself.

I like the idea of an incentive to mow for them - a green bin would suffice.

The council could adopt some sort of incentive for people to cut there own verges instead of paying Amey outrageous fees.

think a few would be happy to do theres if There was green bins free

I don't;the think it's reasonable to expect councils to take away grass clippings so we're left with either an environmentally barren landscape or letting it grow wilder.

I've definitely had my mind changed and if I could trust them not to badly cut the verges around me I would let them grow out too instead of mowing them myself.

I like the idea of an incentive to mow for them - a green bin would suffice.

Brilliant idea . Id vote for you :thumbsup:

Leaving them for wildlife doesn't account for the strange patterns and tufts they're leaving it just looks like half a job has been done by someone who really doesn't care about the end result. That's leads me to believe it's cost saving and laziness. But it's not the council, it's Amey. Our council tax has been used to pay their contract fees to the keep the grass between 2cm and 10cm and they're not doing it. Instead ramping up court costs for the already strapped council over trees and neglecting what they've actually been paid to do. We will have 25 years of this.

Leaving them for wildlife doesn't account for the strange patterns and tufts they're leaving it just looks like half a job has been done by someone who really doesn't care about the end result. That's leads me to believe it's cost saving and laziness. But it's not the council, it's Amey. Our council tax has been used to pay their contract fees to the keep the grass between 2cm and 10cm and they're not doing it. Instead ramping up court costs for the already strapped council over trees and neglecting what they've actually been paid to do. We will have 25 years of this.

"cost saving and laziness " says it all :thumbsup:

Agree cost cutting and very poor workers. We drive into Sheffield from Dronfield and the grassed verges are about 2ft high and the rounder bout at meadow head is very untidy . Not a very nice welcome into the city , Amey seem to be a very poor company ,a very untidy one . Do the councilors not see the untidiness

My response to a query sent to streetsahead@amey.co.uk

about grass cutting.

Unfortunately, we experienced a delay in starting the grass cutting due to the weather in March and the first two weeks in April. Grass cutting operations started in mid-April with our teams working tirelessly around the city.

Once cut, we will endeavour to maintain the verges every 4-5 weeks. We work to specific tolerances in maintaining the roadside grass on the highway network.

Doesn't explain why certain areas appear to have been missed more than others.

we have the parks cutting our grass at lowedges,but its the parked cars that are the problem that's why they cant cut ours in a proper manor

I always cut the verge outside mine myself, takes 5 minutes if that and looks much better than having grass cuttings left behind. Sadly I'm the only one who can be arsed on my road.

I refuse to cut mine, because everyone decides its perfectly fine to park on my verge in the winter and it just ends up sludgly, then in summer when it dries out it looks a mess.