What are the rules of the Waitrose car park?

In practice, private parking companies engage in a whole series of nasty tricks to extract money out of people who believe they're playing by the rules. For example, where you have to enter a registration at the ticket machine, and you type 'O' rather than '0', that's 100 quid, thank you. Or you park one inch over the line because the adjacent car is parked too close? Kerching! Or the ticket machine is out of order? kerching! Or you make two visits to some shops in the same day, but the ANPR cameras only register the first entry and second exit? Kerching! Or you go offsite to a newsagent for a few minutes to get some change for the machine. Kerching! Or you miss the tiny sign which says its only free parking if you enter your registration number at the hotel reception.

Etc etc.

The wife got caught cos she put in the reg number of her old car. They didn't pursue it after I sent a copy of the V5, but she was taken to court by a private parking company and ended up paying £300 to settle two tickets because she didn't change her address on the V5 when she moved. They were ruthless in pursuing it but I did manage to deflect a third ticket that seems to have gone away.

You can park in staples free for 1 hour or Decathlon £1 per hour max 2 hours

We noticed the other day they have applied for planning permission to install registration recognition cameras

its about all time companies installed numberplate recognition cameras to stop these freeloaders:roll:

its about all time companies installed numberplate recognition cameras to stop these freeloaders:roll:

And on the M1 around Watford Gap :cool:

In practice, private parking companies engage in a whole series of nasty tricks to extract money out of people who believe they're playing by the rules. For example, where you have to enter a registration at the ticket machine, and you type 'O' rather than '0', that's 100 quid, thank you. Or you park one inch over the line because the adjacent car is parked too close? Kerching! Or the ticket machine is out of order? kerching! Or you make two visits to some shops in the same day, but the ANPR cameras only register the first entry and second exit? Kerching! Or you go offsite to a newsagent for a few minutes to get some change for the machine. Kerching! Or you miss the tiny sign which says its only free parking if you enter your registration number at the hotel reception.

Etc etc.

Any rules have to be agreed by the supermarket concerned, on the whole these supermarkets make sure their customers can park for the amount of time in store and will not allow underhand practices by parking enforcement agencies.

It always surprised me Waitrose don't have barriers that only open by getting a ticket/token from the store.

It always surprised me Waitrose don't have barriers that only open by getting a ticket/token from the store.

Hope they never do that - I trimmed 7 minutes (according to Google Maps) off my journey on Friday by cutting through the car park rather than going up Eccy Road and turning left just before Champs.