Middlewood road closure may/June 2018

Well at least on this occasion you cant blame supertram for not communicating it.... they’ve had it on their website , press releases and notices on tram stops for a while

(I’m sure you’ll manage to take them to task for something)

Is it really the council’s responsiblity to advise /write to residents to advise of road closures?

I hope youve asked your councillor why theyve not been proactive

I am not blaming Supertram at all if it had not been for them I would not have known about it

if it is not the responsibly of the council to communicate road closures then whose is it?

Wow, you can see into the future. It's not the 26th of May yet.

Signs have been up on Manchester Road for several weeks warning of a full closure of the road in August.

You're weird. Most people like to be able to get to wherever they're going without unexpected delays. :roll:

There are people who meet waiting somewhere unexpected, fall in love and get married.

These people running around all the time all their life don't like delays cause when you wait and do nothing you have to face yourself and relax. Most people don't feel comfortable relaxed, they rather run around.

There are people who meet waiting somewhere unexpected, fall in love and get married.

These people running around all the time all their life don't like delays cause when you wait and do nothing you have to face yourself and relax. Most people don't feel comfortable relaxed, they rather run around.

I agree that we should live our lives at a much more relaxed and sedate pace. I do now and my life is much improved for it. However not warning people with sufficient notice about the closure is likely just to wind people up and frustrate them. Not good for the heart my friend.

When you're unexpectedly delayed you're late for things and it causes inconvenience.

If you think you're likely to meet anyone whilst turning around your car and following a diversion then you're doing driving wrong! :suspect:

I do agree that for practical issues it is better to warn people for delays blockages on the road.

There are people who get all messed up emotionally when traffic gets stuck. Ever wonder why that happens? When you find the answer to this you find something more important than what those advance warnings tell you.

I do agree that for practical issues it is better to warn people for delays blockages on the road.

There are people who get all messed up emotionally when traffic gets stuck. Ever wonder why that happens? When you find the answer to this you find something more important than what those advance warnings tell you.

I have to drive that way and I already have two sets of roadworks to negotiate until January.I really would like to know beforehand if the road is to be blocked because my boss gets a bit upset if his workers are late for work.Seeing as I do not use the tram I would not have seen the signs at the stops and for obvious reasons I never look on the supertram website.

this is the response from one of my local councilors - I have no issues what so ever with the communication regarding the tram and tram link services but the council seem to have washed their hands of this - you might have thought that they would have insisted that Stagecoach communicate to non tram users as well and absolutely no response to the idea of the one way responding to the peak flows

I am responding on behalf of my ward colleague Vickie Priestley who is away at the moment. As I had no information about a road closure I have made enquiries of various Council departments and I am told that Stagecoach (Supertram) are managing the work requiring temporary traffic diversions. As you will know Stagecoach are a private company and there is no obligation on them to inform local councillors.

I find that odd, when i have had to close a lane of a side road for a crane i have had to apply to the local council for permission.

Amey closed leppings lane down a couple of years back, they didn't even notify the bus company and created some major chaos which involved the police turning up who asked the workers if they had permision to close the road which the guys on site couldn't answer. As it was after office hours and they had already dug a hole there wasn't much could be done but the attending officers did say the company would have had to apply for permision to close the road presumably from the council. I'll bet no further investigation was persued.

I think its just the usual contempt the state administrations at whatever level have for the public

Perhaps it is a different case for the highway that the tram tracks are on, like its a tramway cars are allowed on but i can't see why if its still classed as a public highway

Edited by Arthur Ritus

I find that odd, when i have had to close a lane of a side road for a crane i have had to apply to the local council for permission.

Amey closed leppings lane down a couple of years back, they didn't even notify the bus company and created some major chaos which involved the police turning up who asked the workers if they had permision to close the road which the guys on site couldn't answer. As it was after office hours and they had already dug a hole there wasn't much could be done but the attending officers did say the company would have had to apply for permision to close the road presumably from the council. I'll bet no further investigation was persued.

I think its just the usual contempt the state administrations at whatever level have for the public

Perhaps it is a different case for the highway that the tram tracks are on, like its a tramway cars are allowed on but i can't see why if its still classed as a public highway

It’s SYPTE who are managing the road closures, and their contractor is carrying out the works. The only thing Supertram are doing is arranging replacement buses, organising staff to help direct and support passengers and not running trams.

They have very little to do with the actual rail replacement work.

Panic over, signs are up informing of road closure. Still won't be enough for some people.

It’s SYPTE who are managing the road closures, and their contractor is carrying out the works. The only thing Supertram are doing is arranging replacement buses, organising staff to help direct and support passengers and not running trams.

They have very little to do with the actual rail replacement work.

There is a simple point here and that is that local residents were kept in the dark unless they were tram users. as I have previously said I have no problems with the communication regarding the tram/bus link.

However in my humble opinion either the council should have informed local residents of the major disruption or when granting permission for the road closures insisted that the SYPTE /stagecoach inform residents