World Cup 2018 thread

I shouldn't have gone to the bother.

I enjoyed hearing La Mer again :D

You called it soccer.

That invalidates your opinion.

Upvote X 10 :hihi:

I enjoyed hearing La Mer again :D

It's wonderful isn't it? You've got to be a right miserable sod not to like it.

The flags are literally falling from car windows in Toronto LOL For starters the Italian and Dutch never even got dusted down, now within the last few days the Germans, the Portuguese and the Argies have all gone away for another 4 years. Love it.

France is great.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Fontaine

Won the Euro's in 2000

Won the World Cup in 1998

Had some great teams over the years.

You don't know owt about football.

Actually if you look at France's complete World Cup record from 1950 until today, in 2018, England have done far better.

Give them 1 point for qualifying at all and getting to the final stages of each tournament in the first place, 2 points for getting out of the group, and additional points for each further

stage they reach, quarters, semis and so on until becoming winners, and France are behind England. France have not even qualified for more World Cups than England have and also in the World Cups that France have qualified for, they've failed to get out of their group stage more times than England have. Add up all the World Cup performances since 1950 and France are in 4th place in Europe behind England, Italy, and Germany. Spain are 5th. Sweden 6th. 7th place in World Cups since 1950 is actually Yugoslavia, even though there hasn't been a country called that for 25 years.

France have quality players but the omission of Bayern Munich winger and the superstar of their team Kingsley Coman is baffling.

France with Coman and Mpappe on either flank with Greizman in the centre - you may as well give them the trophy.

Effectively Deuchamps has dropped Coman for Giroud. Completely bonkers in my opinion!

From BBC Sport...

Alexandre Lacazette, Kingsley Coman, Adrien Rabiot and Anthony Martial did not even make this squad.

I hate France. They're not a sporty nation and they shouldn't be that good at soccer at all ; they've never really even had a proper league. But look at them.

I think you'll find more people in France participate in sport than in England.

Facilities in France are far superior to England - many villages of around a thousand people will have a flat, good quality turfed football pitch (or rugby pitch depending on region - and in some cases both), complete with floodlights, full time groundstaff etc. And a fair chance they'll also have gym for basketball, handball & badminton teams. Oh, and tennis courts. They tend to have quite a number of cycle races as well.

Another of the fancied runners goes out. Viva Espana.

Another of the fancied runners goes out. Viva Espana.

Only 3 former winners left and Uruguay don't really count as it was just a two team competition in South America when they won it. Some more car flags getting torn off lol

And now for an easy win for my sweepstake team Croatia.......oops.

NOW, IT'S FINALLY OVER!! Russia is next!

NOW, IT'S FINALLY OVER!! Russia is next!

Congratulations Croat, well done Croatia.....