World Cup 2018 thread

I thought the England team got a poor reception on their arrival home yesterday, I was expecting a better welcome then that after what they achieved.

I thought the England team got a poor reception on their arrival home yesterday, I was expecting a better welcome then that after what they achieved.

People were told all day long on the radio not to go to the airport as there wasn't a suitable area to see the team.

People were told all day long on the radio not to go to the airport as there wasn't a suitable area to see the team.

So that was the reason, I didn't know that.

When you think about it, it's impressive that France managed to get 4 goals past a team that included one of the world's best defenders.

Don't forget that one of the goals was a dubious penalty. There was absolutely no intention involved in the handball, it was purely accidental. I am glad that France got the 2 extra goals as it would have been a shame for Croatia had the penalty been the deciding goal.

there could be a story about the various UK airports returning England World Cup teams have returned to. I think in 1990, which was the last time they reached the semis, it was Luton airport where the squad returned, and not Birmingham, like this year.

can we even be sure that the planes the returning England squad climbs on to, are even always going back to England? Have they ever just gone to if not to Prestwick, obviously, then maybe directly to maybe Malaga or Magaluf instead?

the best team won. They played against two teams, Argentina and Uruguay, who had previously won the tournament and beat them both easily. Not only in the same tournament. but in successive knockout games. That is where France won won the World Cup. It wasn't by beating Belgium and Croatia. France would have beaten Brazil too if Belgium hadn't already done it. France were the best team in it.

since 1966, England have only beaten ONE team who have previously won the tournament, Argentina in 2002, and it wasn't even in the knockout stage.

England could have been there. They could have got to the final. The only question is whether they would have lost 4,5,6,7, or 8-1. With the single goal coming from a set piece of course.

Yeah, France did great for a non-sporting nation eh? :hihi:

Don't forget that one of the goals was a dubious penalty. There was absolutely no intention involved in the handball, it was purely accidental. I am glad that France got the 2 extra goals as it would have been a shame for Croatia had the penalty been the deciding goal.

I disagree it was a clear penalty, he paused the movement of his arm slightly to make it appear it had come off his raised leg. Penalty all day.

Not going to argue with this as goal of the World Cup

Me neither - three of the goals in that game were out of the top drawer - struggling to think of a World Cup game since 1970 with goals as good.

the best goal was Belgium's last minute winner against Japan. One of the best World Cup goals ever. In the situation of the match, totally unbeatable. Knock out game, last few seconds, end to end right down the pitch in 2 passes and 1 shot, and in 5 seconds, and coming from two goals down 25 minutes earlier, to win 3-2 with the last kick of the game. Unbelievable goal.

52 years ago today (July 31st) England won the World! Cup. The last World Cup final to be played on an Saturday.

52 years ago today (July 31st) England won the World! Cup. The last World Cup final to be played on an Saturday.

And the best Saturday night out of my life and the loudest. Me and 3 mates were at Blackpool for the week.