World Cup 2018 thread

Harry Maguire was a colossus for England tonight . MOTM by a county mile.

Bereft of ideas going forward

Little or no vision

Can't dribble

Etc,etc

Foden of Man.City might have offered something different.

Rose offers them a bit of flair on the left.

The under 20 England left winger Da Silva has flair....

A very workmanlike team that relies on the opposition rugby tackling our players in the penalty box.

I guess if the opposition are that stupid - then they deserve to give away charity goals from penalties.

Mildred is a bit past it but still makes a great cuppa

Harry Maguire was a colossus for England tonight . MOTM by a county mile.

Are you his Dad?

Best to ignore old grumpy up there. Anyone who calls football “soccer” needs to get a better education. Nice to see him speaking for the rest of the world though :) How very humble.

That win will do this young side the world of good. Clinging on for a 1-0 might have been nice, but going through the mill like that is truly character building.

Still the best World Cup since 1974 for me.

Get used to " soccer" the World Cup is coming to North America in the not too distant future and although I keep giving some of them a clip when they say the S word, they still insist football is only played in the NFL.(CFL in Canada).:loopy:

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 00:14 ----------

But England weren't playing Japan. Japan played excellent football, had a proper strategy, attacked as a team and played great football. Columbia did the opposite of that for all of 115 minutes out of 120.

If England had played Japan it could have been the game of the tournament, but they didn't, they played against a cynical bunch of absolute cheats. It's just unfortunate that England decided to descend to their level at some points in the second half...at which point they started losing control of the game.

I agree, I really hope the French and the Belgians knock off the last two South American teams . ,I don't want to see England play any more of those excitable morons, whatever the consequences.

Colombia were not as dirty as Argentina but the way many of their players conducted themselves at the award of the penalty - i honestly thought i was watching a team from the psychiatric division of Bogota hospital.

Watch out for Sweden - one of their forwards is as impressive in the air as McGuire and has quality on the ground as well.

Serious question...

When a player scores a vital goal, its become customary for his teammates to all jump upon him, last night there must have been 15 players on top of Pickford, all that weight pressing down on him, surely its a dangerous practice, I"d be terrified under all that weight...Just wondered if anyone had noticed.

Hi all,

Word on the street is that it's coming home...;)

Just wondering what the general consensus was on the England vs Sweden game coming up this weekend.

Anybody dare to share their predictions?

I like to think that it may well be, in fact, coming home!

Hi all,

Word on the street is that it's coming home...;)

Just wondering what the general consensus was on the England vs Sweden game coming up this weekend.

Anybody dare to share their predictions?

I like to think that it may well be, in fact, coming home!

I don't think England will win the World Cup. They're quite an ordinary side and have had an easy group and a soft knock out draw. Sweden are not all that either though, so England may make the semis.

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 12:52 ----------

Serious question...

When a player scores a vital goal, its become customary for his teammates to all jump upon him, last night there must have been 15 players on top of Pickford, all that weight pressing down on him, surely its a dangerous practice, I"d be terrified under all that weight...Just wondered if anyone had noticed.

It really reminds me of school. Bundle!!!

Well the Colombian coach is entitled to his views I suppose but was he watching the England Colombia match? In the referees face all the time argued with every decision that went against them, one of the coaches nudging Sterling as he walked off at half time. I see Maradonna has said it wasn't a penalty it was Kanes fault and that Gareth Southgate's men got the benefit of a FIFA stitch up to move into the last eight, bit rich coming from the World Cups greatest cheat.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/diego-maradona-goes-incredible-anti-12851672

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11425618/colombia-manager-jose-pekerman-angry-at-england-players-after-world-cup-defeat

Well the Colombian coach is entitled to his views I suppose but was he watching the England Colombia match? In the referees face all the time argued with every decision that went against them, one of the coaches nudging Sterling as he walked off at half time. I see Maradonna has said it wasn't a penalty it was Kanes fault and that Gareth Southgate's men got the benefit of a FIFA stitch up to move into the last eight, bit rich coming from the World Cups greatest cheat.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/diego-maradona-goes-incredible-anti-12851672

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11425618/colombia-manager-jose-pekerman-angry-at-england-players-after-world-cup-defeat

Nobody gives any credence to what that deadbeat junkie has to say.

The gamesmanship employed by Colombia did them no favours with those viewing,no matter what the opinion of their coach was.

England arent strong enough to win the whole thing,but they got further then most of us expected

Cocaine and patriotism will both rob you of your senses. "In a world of Colombias, be a Japan"