World Cup 2018 thread

England are like Europe's Mexico in World Cups. They're good at qualifying. Good at getting past the group stage even.

just don't ask them, to do anything else.

but in a way England are worse than Mexico because at least Mexico ENTERTAIN, even when they lose.

England don't entertain. If England do go out neutrals won't mourn them or regret it that they do go out. The football they play is not entertaining. Nobody will miss them.

I think you're missing the point of international football. Unlike club football, which in the top leagues is becoming more and more about buying success, this is about working with what you're given. That's why I'm loving this world cup, I don't really care who wins.

Good job England! penalty shootout is nerve wracking :D

Knew Henderson would miss as he did that keepy uppy thing on the way to the spot that always denotes trying to pretend you're confident when you're not.

Knew Henderson would miss as he did that keepy uppy thing on the way to the spot that always denotes trying to pretend you're confident when you're not.

Yep, thought so too, body language was a bit defeatist, like he didn't expect to score. Under enormous pressure tho!

---------- Post added 03-07-2018 at 22:01 ----------

It isn't coming home.

It's getting a bit closer though...

I think you're missing the point of international football. Unlike club football, which in the top leagues is becoming more and more about buying success, this is about working with what you're given. That's why I'm loving this world cup, I don't really care who wins.

what are you talking about?

all I'm saying is that for a neutral, somebody watching from one of the 180 odd countries in the world that are no longer in the mix for becoming World Cup winners, they aren't going to be too impressed, by England. England don't play entertaining football of the type that makes somebody in Bengal or Beijing say to their mate in the pub, did you see that? It was brilliant.

Internationally, nobody wants to know about England international football. It's poor quality. It's short of class. It's rubbish.

just contrast tonight's offering with last night's Belgium-Japan game. Different planet.

Whether this is as far as we get I don't know but as a learning curve this is as good as it gets.

Decent a set pieces - check

Knock over minnows - check

Not lose to similar opposition - check

Not get a player sent off under duress - check (just)

Win a penalty shootout - check

Seriously, this must be beyond southgates wildest dreams.

Best to ignore old grumpy up there. Anyone who calls football “soccer” needs to get a better education. Nice to see him speaking for the rest of the world though :) How very humble.

That win will do this young side the world of good. Clinging on for a 1-0 might have been nice, but going through the mill like that is truly character building.

Still the best World Cup since 1974 for me.

Bereft of ideas going forward

Little or no vision

Can't dribble

Etc,etc

Foden of Man.City might have offered something different.

Rose offers them a bit of flair on the left.

The under 20 England left winger Da Silva has flair....

A very workmanlike team that relies on the opposition rugby tackling our players in the penalty box.

I guess if the opposition are that stupid - then they deserve to give away charity goals from penalties.

Eric Dier: Match winner. Which parallel universe is this?

---------- Post added 03-07-2018 at 22:16 ----------

Best to ignore old grumpy up there. Anyone who calls football “soccer” needs to get a better education. Nice to see him speaking for the rest of the world though :) How very humble.

That win will do this young side the world of good. Clinging on for a 1-0 might have been nice, but going through the mill like that is truly character building.

Still the best World Cup since 1974 for me.

Best World Cup for Spurs ever - all that big match experience. Maybe next season we won't bottle it in the CL so early!

Hard fought impressive win against a team of cheaters.. bring on the turnips sat..

Eric

Best World Cup for Spurs ever - all that big match experience. Maybe next season we won't bottle it in the CL so early!

Spurs will always bottle it:D

The 74 finals are the first ones I can really remember. West Germany and Netherlands were both fantastic sides, with memorable players.

Maybe this year, people will remember England and France.

what are you talking about?

all I'm saying is that for a neutral, somebody watching from one of the 180 odd countries in the world that are no longer in the mix for becoming World Cup winners, they aren't going to be too impressed, by England. England don't play entertaining football of the type that makes somebody in Bengal or Beijing say to their mate in the pub, did you see that? It was brilliant.

Internationally, nobody wants to know about England international football. It's poor quality. It's short of class. It's rubbish.

just contrast tonight's offering with last night's Belgium-Japan game. Different planet.

But England weren't playing Japan. Japan played excellent football, had a proper strategy, attacked as a team and played great football. Columbia did the opposite of that for all of 115 minutes out of 120.

If England had played Japan it could have been the game of the tournament, but they didn't, they played against a cynical bunch of absolute cheats. It's just unfortunate that England decided to descend to their level at some points in the second half...at which point they started losing control of the game.