World Cup 2018 thread

Felt a bit sorry for Denmark as I have a soft spot for their fans when they were based in Sheffield in 96, they all used to congregate in Orchard square and do a dying fly type dance everytime the clock thing chimed. They also nearly drank Sheffield dry without showing one iota of aggression or bad behaviour.

Mind you Croatia were also based in Sheffield at the same time, and I have them in the sweepstake, so I'm fine.

sooooo youd think

Brazil

Belgium

Sweden

England

into the next round too? i know it doesnt always work like that

sooooo youd think

Brazil

Belgium

Sweden

England

into the next round too? i know it doesnt always work like that

This is hard, if not impossible to predict. All four teams have good attack but defense is inconsistent.

This is hard, if not impossible to predict. All four teams have good attack but defense is inconsistent.

"should" we'll see, be interesting the next couple of days

In my opinion, the best two teams so far are France and Uruguay, but one will be gone shortly. I hope it's Uruguay that is gone as they would probably give England more problems than anyone in the competition. Not that France would be a pushover, by any means.

Edited by Ontarian1981

In my opinion, the best two teams so far are France and Uruguay, but one will be gone shortly. I hope it's Uruguay that is gone as they would probably give England more problems than anyone in the competition. Not that France would be a pushover, by any means.

Given the draw we can't meet Uruguay, France, Brazil or Belgium until the final.

If we get past Columbia then we've got Switzerland or Sweden in the QF then the winners of Russia v Croatia in the SF.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/schedule/knockout-stage

England have a dream run to the final.......make hay while the sun shines.

I still think Brazil are the best team with France and Belgium a close second equal.

However,England with their dream draw - would have have to be close to favourites to take it out.

England have a dream run to the final.......make hay while the sun shines.

I still think Brazil are the best team with France and Belgium a close second equal.

However,England with their dream draw - would have have to be close to favourites to take it out.

You can't leave Uruguay out of the equation with that Italian style of hit and run for cover, especially with those two potent strikers and that outstanding defence.

Wish these reporters knew what they were on about. The one in Russia just speaking on the BBC news said tonight Croatia against Denmark. Is he in a time warp or did Croatia not win Denmark last night and I dreamt it all.:confused::confused:

Famous English commentator John Motson (I think his name is ) was commentating on the game.

The Brazilian right back blatantly trips up the left winger after getting goal side of the fullback. The most obvious yellow card possible - but no yellow card is given!

Motson then admits the refs are NOT adhering to the letter of the law - are being pragmatic for the benefit of the game!

There's nothing pragmatic or minor about a blatant professional foul.

It's a blight on the game and is not being punished AT ALL at this WC.

It's really spoiling the contest as a spectacle.

I hate France. They're not a sporty nation and they shouldn't be that good at soccer at all ; they've never really even had a proper league. But look at them.
....hate says a lot about you sunshine!

Belgium...losing to Japan. A very intersting World Cup (apart from the boring and predictable Brazil, hope some team gives them a good doing like last WC then we could have less of the tiresome Neymar Show).

---------- Post added 02-07-2018 at 20:10 ----------

Jeez....2-0 now