World Cup 2018 thread

I hope at the next WC Australia play with a bit more belief / positivity in their approach. The Socceroos need to appoint Klopp.

I'm sure he'd jump at the opportunity to give up managing class players, reaching finals in Europe etc to take on a bunch of journeymen.

Fed up of all the diving, pulling and feigning injury in this world cup, it is just cheating and spoiling the game. Also the players running after the referee all the time telling them to look at VAR in the hope of getting a penalty every time a ball catches a players arm, as happened just now in the Argentina game.

Iceland -done.

Next one : Denmark.

Thought the clip of the fat Argentinian hand of God icon, asleep, summed up the Match.

Edited by drolnhoj

Fed up of all the diving, pulling and feigning injury in this world cup, it is just cheating and spoiling the game. Also the players running after the referee all the time telling them to look at VAR in the hope of getting a penalty every time a ball catches a players arm, as happened just now in the Argentina game.

Some games are worse than others. I thought Argentina vs Nigeria was a great game and generally free of nonsense.

I watched the Australia v Peru match.

Australian commentator Criag Foster having a right old go in the studio at the defensive approach in this WC by the Socceroos.

Not having a go at defending from the front - aka the Liverpool approach.

In the second half of the game tonight Australia pushed forward and for the first time in the tournament somewhat dominated their opponents.

I watch the same thing in the EPL and SPL - it takes a team losing to commit bodies forward.

I hope at the next WC Australia play with a bit more belief / positivity in their approach. The Socceroos need to appoint Klopp.

Defending deep with 10 or 11 players behind the ball and hoping for a goal on the counter or from a set piece is hardly a positive approach and not really the Australian way of having a go.

Credit to 38 year old Tim Cahill who looked our best striker when he came on for the last 35 minutes.

Aussie soccer fans, and I've spoken to a few, always say the same. They've never had a player, ever, who was a proper goalscorer/striker.

Iceland -done.

Next one : Denmark.

Iceland is done but it wasn't easy,by any means. Denmark will be no pushover either.

Its so sad to watch Maradona in this shape..

Great work Sweden! 2:0! I was sceptical because Ibrahimovic is not playing any more.

A big mistake by the coach of Germany not selecting Leroy Sane in the squad.

The same can be said of not selecting striker Wagner from Bayern Munich as well. A far better player than Werner who looked out of his depth.

Sane's replacement Brandt looked their best player in the tournament but was only played off the bench.

Germany's forward line should have been Sane - Wagner - Brandt.

England and Belguim - either one have a serious shot of winning the WC.

Clearly not seen anyone better.

Edited by MAC33

I love South Korea!!!

what a team of hero's...

this almost makes up for those cheating Argies scraping thru

watching super-Serbia with baited breath now

I really enjoyed watching Korea celebrate. You'd think they won the cup!

Shame Germany went out... I'm serious... OK, no i'm not. I don't dislike Germany, or Germans in general (I lived there long enough and loved it) I sort of take a dislike to any country that thinks they have a God given right to be in the top 16.

Now to put a few tins in to cool and get the grub on!