World Cup 2018 thread

Oh dear! As Kane was waiting to take his 2nd penalty, the commentator did clearly described Kane as 'One of the world's great strikers./QUOTE]

He might not be the world's greatest but I think he is one of the greatest. Unlike Ronaldo, you won't see him curling many in from the edge of the box, but if you want someone who, despite being man marked, can reliably find space in the box to poke them in, he's your man. And he's not playing in front of Modric and Bale.

Oh dear! As Kane was waiting to take his 2nd penalty, the commentator did clearly described Kane as 'One of the world's great strikers./QUOTE]

He might not be the world's greatest but I think he is one of the greatest. Unlike Ronaldo, you won't see him curling many in from the edge of the box, but if you want someone who, despite being man marked, can reliably find space in the box to poke them in, he's your man. And he's not playing in front of Modric and Bale.

Jimmy Greaves the second eh?

Jimmy Greaves the second eh?

I'm only including current players. Life's too short for a "greatest striker of all time" thread isn't it?

Oh dear! As Kane was waiting to take his 2nd penalty, the commentator did clearly described Kane as 'One of the world's great strikers.'

Now I'm not knocking today's display, we totally dominated Panama & rarely let up but our first true test will be this Thursday against Belgium. That'll give us some indication of how good we are.

Just one question? How the hell does Sterling get to start? 2 games against an average Tunisia & a mediocre Panama & he's been ineffectual in both.

Finally, today was 30 degrees plus in that stadium. Strange then that nobody was moaning about how difficult it was for England to run around in that heat? Funny how scoring 6 goals can keep you cool?

Can"t see it Baron, its become a warm up match for the knockout stages.

Can"t see it Baron, its become a warm up match for the knockout stages.

It'll be funny if Japan end up top of their group with Colombia second. Our group will be a scramble for 2nd spot between us & the Belgians. It might be a case of each playing goalie wag or dragging each other down in the penalty boxes to see who can concede the most goals.

Ronaldo's not when he's playing for Portugal.

If Belgium hadn't subbed Lukaku he could have got half a dozen given the number of chances missed by the sub.

First real match for England is on Thursday with Belgium. Yesterday was more exhibition match.

HA HA, just read where Iran fans chanted and cheered all night outside the hotel where Portugal are staying in an attempt to deprive them of any sleep, Iran must beat Portugal tonight to qualify....

HA HA, just read where Iran fans chanted and cheered all night outside the hotel where Portugal are staying in an attempt to deprive them of any sleep, Iran must beat Portugal tonight to qualify....

Iran vs Portugal - the worst game of the falling over and cheating world cup I've seen so far

Commentator..."Falling about like he'd been hit by a lurry"

For me that was the best part of the Portugal/Iran match.

So funny, and so true!!

Commentator..."Falling about like he'd been hit by a lurry"

For me that was the best part of the Portugal/Iran match.

So funny, and so true!!

I'd like to set a young Graeme Souness on them. Then they'd know what writhing in agony is really all about

I watched the Australia v Peru match.

Australian commentator Criag Foster having a right old go in the studio at the defensive approach in this WC by the Socceroos.

Not having a go at defending from the front - aka the Liverpool approach.

In the second half of the game tonight Australia pushed forward and for the first time in the tournament somewhat dominated their opponents.

I watch the same thing in the EPL and SPL - it takes a team losing to commit bodies forward.

I hope at the next WC Australia play with a bit more belief / positivity in their approach. The Socceroos need to appoint Klopp.

Defending deep with 10 or 11 players behind the ball and hoping for a goal on the counter or from a set piece is hardly a positive approach and not really the Australian way of having a go.

Credit to 38 year old Tim Cahill who looked our best striker when he came on for the last 35 minutes.

Edited by MAC33