World Cup 2018 thread

Croatia showed Argentina it's important to want the ball, rather than believe you're owed the ball. Great performance in the second half.

so delighted about that result, nearly makes up for the absolute despair after the Iran game...

sadly I can't criticise them for 'resorting' to cynical, nasty stud to toe challenges, cos they didn't resort to it... they were doing it all through the game, then sprawling themselves all over the floor like they'd been hit by a train as soon as a slight Croatian breeze would waft near them

Argentina have really let themselves down with that performance, and I've lost the tiny amount of respect I might have had for their past qualities

0:3 !!!!!

Don't cry for me Argentinaaaaa

I got Croatia in the draw at work. I'll do a little dance :love:

so delighted about that result, nearly makes up for the absolute despair after the Iran game...

sadly I can't criticise them for 'resorting' to cynical, nasty stud to toe challenges, cos they didn't resort to it... they were doing it all through the game, then sprawling themselves all over the floor like they'd been hit by a train as soon as a slight Croatian breeze would waft near them

Argentina have really let themselves down with that performance, and I've lost the tiny amount of respect I might have had for their past qualities

You've lost respect for them? Looks like I've lost a tenner!

yeah well it's only money - that comes & goes, respect is much harder earned than money

and as it goes I'd drawn Argentina in one of the sweeps at work & I was absolutely gutted...

in conciliation I'd also drawn Colombia - who I don't mind cos I like their coffee & best of all South Korea... who I love, for a number of reasons

yeah well it's only money - that comes & goes, respect is much harder earned than money

and as it goes I'd drawn Argentina in one of the sweeps at work & I was absolutely gutted...

in conciliation I'd also drawn Colombia - who I don't mind cos I like their coffee & best of all South Korea... who I love, for a number of reasons

I've got Iceland in my works sweepstakes, can't imagine they'll win it but if they qualify instead of Argentina I'll take that as a win :hihi:

I did put another £10 on the Germans. Although after their last performance,.that doesn't look thet secure.

although I don't think they will win the tournament, after Germany lost their first game I bet some money on them straight away. Their odds went up and they weren't the favourites anymore.

to win the World Cup, you've got to play in seven games. The best teams in the world, no matter how good they are, and even if they win the championship in a league season of 30 games, will usually lose about one game in seven. In the World Cup if you are going to lose a game, it's much better if you lose the first one than the fourth, or fifth. In the past, World Cup winners have lost a game in the group stage and still ended up winning the tournament. Including Germany.

although I don't think they will win the tournament, after Germany lost their first game I bet some money on them straight away. Their odds went up and they weren't the favourites anymore.

to win the World Cup, you've got to play in seven games. The best teams in the world, no matter how good they are, and even if they win the championship in a league season of 30 games, will usually lose about one game in seven. In the World Cup if you are going to lose a game, it's much better if you lose the first one than the fourth, or fifth. In the past, World Cup winners have lost a game in the group stage and still ended up winning the tournament. Including Germany.

Italy has done that at least twice.

Italy has done that at least twice.

In 1996 I noticed that the Czech Republic were 33-1 to win the Euro tournament, which I thought was totally ridiculous. They'd won the thing 20 years before, and they'd been in two World Cup finals in the past. Czech are one of Europe's leading teams really. I put 20 quid on them.

Then they lost their first group match to Germany Their odds went up - to 66-1. I put ANOTHER 20 quid on them.

It turned out that they were probably the best team in the tournament and getting to the final - Germany again - they went a goal up. They ended up losing 2-1 on the golden goal in extra time and needless to say I was strongly annoyed. But it was still the best bets(s) I ever made.

In 1996 I noticed that the Czech Republic were 33-1 to win the Euro tournament, which I thought was totally ridiculous. They'd won the thing 20 years before, and they'd been in two World Cup finals in the past. Czech are one of Europe's leading teams really. I put 20 quid on them.

Then they lost their first group match to Germany Their odds went up - to 66-1. I put ANOTHER 20 quid on them.

It turned out that they were probably the best team in the tournament and getting to the final - Germany again - they went a goal up. They ended up losing 2-1 on the golden goal in extra time and needless to say I was strongly annoyed. But it was still the best bets(s) I ever made.

I would imagine Germany were about 4/6 to lift the trophy on the day. If you stuck £1200 on them you'd have cleared about £800 whatever the outcome.