World Cup 2018 thread

Neither especially Tunisia, who are 14th in the admittedly very flawed FIFA rankings or Australia are weak teams at all. They're certainly a lot closer to England's level than England are to the likes of Germany and Argentina. Can't see either Tunisia or Australia keeling over to Iceland like England did in the last competitive tournament England played in.

I do think England will come up a tad short,that said the margin between England and say France,Germany or Brazil is not very big.

England do not have a Eden Hazard like Belguim but over the whole team are probably just as strong.

Of course weaker teams like Australia and Tunisia have next to no chance of progressing much past the last 16 or quarter finals.

Look at the 23 France are taking. Now look at the SECOND 23 France ARENT taking with the likes of martial in it. that second string would beat England's very best 11 8 times out of 10. Small margin? It's huge.

I do think England will come up a tad short,that said the margin between England and say France,Germany or Brazil is not very big.

Remind me - how many World Cup Final appearances have France, Germany & Brazil had since say oooh, 1966.

How many have England had?

Look at the number of players from in those squads who play for big teams in Spain and Italy. Compare to the zero in the England squad.

even if the players were better that wouldn't matter. England just always have bad teams. Even when the players are better the teams are still rubbish. Look at Costa Rica last time. They had one of the better teams in the whole World Cup and certainly stuffed one up England against whom they didn't even try when they played them having already qualified by beating the best teams in the group. But none of Costa Rica's players players were particularly good.

Edited by blake

I consider one of the main problems with the England team is the mentality that the individual players main loyalty is to the club.

The star players don't want to get too personal with rival players from other clubs in case they give away weaknesses or tactics.

Until the management of the England set up remove this barrier English teams will always come up short.

France 98 was the last tournament in which England were genuine contenders. Since then most English footballers were born after or were very young at the inception of the Premiere league, a league that has decimated English football.

England do not have a Neymar,Hazard,Messi,Salah or Dybala.

What they do have is a very even balance of decently talented players across their first 11 if not their whole squad. A bit like Germany perhaps.

Stones can possibly make a name for himself as one of the best centre halves in the world and Sterling with his dribbling and top speed can in theory cause any defence huge problems.

Lindgard is probably next best with Kane the fourth best. Kane was awful at the previous World Cup looking a yard plus off the pace. He looks a much better player these days.

A quarter final is my tip.

We will be home within the first few weeks as per......

What they do have is a very even balance of decently talented players across their first 11 if not their whole squad. A bit like Germany perhaps.

Stones can possibly make a name for himself as one of the best centre halves in the world and Sterling with his dribbling and top speed can in theory cause any defence huge problems.

Lindgard is probably next best with Kane the fourth best. Kane was awful at the previous World Cup looking a yard plus off the pace. He looks a much better player these days.

Stones isn't even in the best two centre halves in Man City - and that's not a super high bar to reach. Lingard doesn't start a lot of games. We've no idea what the best 11 is, I'm not even sure on the best 8. We are already sticking round pegs in square holes by putting walker, our best right back by a mile, at centre half. The rest of the squad the more I look at it is a lot of jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none like young and Delph. If we get to the second round I'll be fairly surprised but unless the draw is really kind we won't get any further.

Kane didn't make his England debut until 2015 :cool:

Why do you keep posting this twaddle?

I honestly don't think we'll get far,if we get through the group we will have done better than I thought.

Sorry I meant European Championships.

Actually France have Greizman and that super fleet footed Mpappe.

I'm going with a France v Germany final.

Brazil and Argentina to play for the third place.

As for playing a 3-5-2 with Walker as a right sided centre half - it does seem a bit negative.