World Cup 2018 thread

I've not called it a mega thread as I genuinely don't think it will last that long. I've looked at the squad and it's got a bit of promise but there are still the same old mistakes - square pegs in round holes (walker) and players short of form and fitness (welbeck). There are plenty of concerns but he key thing for me as the lack of variety. There's not much difference in Ali or lingard, there's less difference between dier and Henderson - two players who will play sideways rather than forward, which result in the likes of Ali coming back to fetch the ball leaving Kane insolated - I can see it all now. Wilshire and shelvey - for all their faults give a different option and look to pass it forward and we have Livermore ahead of those two.

Now I'm less of a "glass half empty" sort of person and more "glass has fallen off the table and smashed to pieces and there's water everywhere" sort of person but I see two 0-0 and a loss to Belgium.

Looking at the squad it seems almost certain he's looking at playing 3 at the back plus 2 wing backs, 3 in midfield and 2 up front - and agree with tinfoilhat - far too much sideways passing - although that seems to have been the case of just about every England team for a good 30 years or more.

Yes tend to agree with you two on this but lets hope we can stay in competition to knock outs . Midfield tends to look a bit crab type , Henderson and Dier together I hope not . Thought Shelvey would have had a look in .

From the squad,my best team

Pickford,Walker,Stones,Cahill and Delph - defence

Henderson and Lindgard - central midfield

Rashford and Sterling out wide.

Ali and Kane up front

I see that team being too attacking for Southgate and Dier will be added to central midfield.

His team will be Pickford,Walker,Stones,Cahill,Delph

Dier,Henderson,Ali

Lindgard,Kane,Sterling

Worrying that even the best options seem short of players who could be called international class, and totally bereft of anyone who could be considered world class.

Foden of Man.City might have been worth a gamble.

His ball skills are pretty amazing and he definitely has the X factor.

Rashford seems to have gone downhill if anything. His ball control of late his major weakness.

With their sheer pace and stamina England are always a threat.

Loftus Cheek worth a place in the first eleven,possibly.

Foden of Man.City might have been worth a gamble.

His ball skills are pretty amazing and he definitely has the X factor.

Rashford seems to have gone downhill if anything. His ball control of late his major weakness.

With their sheer pace and stamina England are always a threat.

Loftus Cheek worth a place in the first eleven,possibly.

None of them are anywhere near proven international class though.

About all we can boast today is we're not as bad as Scotland.

I don't follow the premiership but watched a bit of cup final yesterday and got to say from what I saw , Ashley Young ought to learn how to cross a ball properly

I don't follow the premiership but watched a bit of cup final yesterday and got to say from what I saw , Ashley Young ought to learn how to cross a ball properly

He was as handy as a crack in a glass eye.

Shelvey is unlucky not to be going, Welbeck is definitely lucky to be going!

It's an OK squad. I'm glad Southgate isn't taking people well past their best, picking them on what they used to be, and I'm glad he's not taking anybody who is carrying an injury. We've had enough of that in the past.

they've got no chance. Even less than in previous tournaments and even though it is not in some far-flung part of the world and at least partially in Europe so it is like a semi home advantage rather than when it is in Brazil or South Africa or somewhere like that. They've got steadily even worse over decades. They're no-hopers.

Edited by blake

come on Blake stop beating around the bush what do you think our chances are. It would be nice if we could progress though to give us something to watch later in tournament but doubts are setting in .