Mates in the Sheffield workplace – or are they??

I’ve had this job for a while now and sometimes it makes me think. What you get a lot of is people going around calling each other “mate”, “pal” or even “matey boy” (???). I was brought up to expect nowt but hi-standards office environment (even though all I do is a bit of admin and clearing the filling cabinets). When did this sort of informal ways of talking to people become the accepted norm? I reckon it was with those types of Channel 4 presenters such as Toby Armistice and Simon Amsel and Sar Pong. Standards have been slipping for years now it seems.

What do you reckon? Is it OK to call someone “mate” even if you never been drinking with them?

sir would be acceptable or Mr. for years after coming out of the army I found it hard not to use sir.

The one I hate is being called 'Guy/guys' usually by a waiter/waitress in an eating establishment. Sorry but I an not a fella so why use the term but then again can't think of the correct term

I’ve had this job for a while now and sometimes it makes me think. What you get a lot of is people going around calling each other “mate”, “pal” or even “matey boy” (???). I was brought up to expect nowt but hi-standards office environment (even though all I do is a bit of admin and clearing the filling cabinets). When did this sort of informal ways of talking to people become the accepted norm? I reckon it was with those types of Channel 4 presenters such as Toby Armistice and Simon Amsel and Sar Pong. Standards have been slipping for years now it seems.

What do you reckon? Is it OK to call someone “mate” even if you never been drinking with them?

Hahaha hilarious :hihi:

I do love your posts..

I call everyone love. Male or female..

Didn't you post this a couple of weeks ago? Must try harder.

Didn't you post this a couple of weeks ago? Must try harder.

That was his annoying habits in the workplace post.

this one is brand new material.

I thought the standard Sheffield lingo was, nah den de.

Angel1.

I must admit I prefer people to use my Christian name when referring to me. I used to call people 'love' all the time, until one of my colleagues said that 'love' was patronising - though if people don't know my name - 'love', 'my friend' or 'pal' is fine

I must admit I prefer people to use my Christian name when referring to me. I used to call people 'love' all the time, until one of my colleagues said that 'love' was patronising - though if people don't know my name - 'love', 'my friend' or 'pal' is fine

I get your point, Christian but I hate it when people call me 'love' or 'lover' in the officeplace. When men call me that it really creeps me out to be honest. In that case I'd rather actually them call me mate! It's a viscous circle for sure!

I get your point, Christian but I hate it when people call me 'love' or 'lover' in the officeplace. When men call me that it really creeps me out to be honest. In that case I'd rather actually them call me mate! It's a viscous circle for sure!

But Christian isn't my Christian name :hihi:

I don't mind what people call me: 'love', 'mate', 'pal'. I quite like 'sexy bum', but not in the workplace :o

The one I hate is being called 'Guy/guys' usually by a waiter/waitress in an eating establishment. Sorry but I an not a fella so why use the term but then again can't think of the correct term

"Folks" sounds much better in mixed company, don't you think? Guys is another sign of the Americanisation of Britain's young people. Although I use the term guy myself because I have lived in North America for 37 years I never call a woman or women 'guy or 'guys', not knowingly anyway.

---------- Post added 17-05-2018 at 12:45 ----------

A wet sticky circle eh?:hihi: Good job you don't live in Scotland, everybody up there is called Jimmy lol .Also if you lived in Chesterfield you would be a 'duck' , ha ha

Edited by Ontarian1981