1970s bands worth a revisit

Got a collection from 'Nursery Cryme' but gave up on them at 'Abacab', when they basically turned to creating singles more aimed for the US market & that would make good videos for MTV.

Must dig some of those early albums out. Must be 25 years since I played some of them.

I prefer Collins' and Rutherford's side projects more than Genesis itself, but they are more 80s. I especially liked Mike and the Mechanics with Sheffield's own Paul Carrack and the late Paul Young sharing the lead vocals.

Local band "Bitter Sweet" were a sell out at many a Sheffield working mans club in the seventies, the singer Brian marshal could sing as good as any of the chart acts of the time and the guitar playing of john Parr excelled especially on classic songs such as "whole lot of love" and dreamer, they did a visit to America and released a lame single, the title of which I have forgot but had something to do with America. John Parr went on to have a great solo career but the other members faded away, a sad loss to the local rock fans of the era.

Local band "Bitter Sweet" were a sell out at many a Sheffield working mans club in the seventies, the singer Brian marshal could sing as good as any of the chart acts of the time and the guitar playing of john Parr excelled especially on classic songs such as "whole lot of love" and dreamer, they did a visit to America and released a lame single, the title of which I have forgot but had something to do with America. John Parr went on to have a great solo career but the other members faded away, a sad loss to the local rock fans of the era.

Weren't they actually known as Bitter Suite, not trying to be a smartarse here, but that kind of looks like the name advertised on posters etc, although I don't recall seeing them play myself.

Don't know if Bitter Suite as a band ever went to the USA, the song that you may be referring to was 'Goodbye America'. John Parr was a later member of the band, the lead guitarist in their formative years was a lad (last name I forget) was called Stewart (Stuart) ?

Don't know if Bitter Suite as a band ever went to the USA, the song that you may be referring to was 'Goodbye America'. John Parr was a later member of the band, the lead guitarist in their formative years was a lad (last name I forget) was called Stewart (Stuart) ?

I seem to remember them going with a very lame single but at the time the charts were full of serious rock acts purple,zep bad company etc.my brother a big fan bought the single think they were dressed in cheesy union jack suits on the front cover,not seen it since the seventies.john parr was guest of ken bruce a few weeks ago he was reminiscing about his days with bitter suite

Edited by choogling

Well I would have rooted for ELO, but Jeff Lynne has already done a brilliant job of bringing their stuff back to the attention of old and new fans alike in recent years. Another great one was Dire Straits. Both these bands were absolutely fantastic live.

---------- Post added 16-05-2018 at 19:44 ----------

Talking about Terry Kath(RIP), Jimi Hendrix, of all people, told Bob Lamm when he was touring with Chicago, that Terry was, technically, the best jazz/rock guitarist in the World.

Agree about Jeff Lynne and ELO. 10cc (from that era) weren't too bad either. I recently bought an a CD of one of Jeff Lynne's earlier Birmingham bands, they being 'The Idle Race'.

The seventies produced so many great bands that are still around today, we were spoilt for choice, now with the advent of the internet most of the music produced then can still be heard today.

Crosby Stills, Nash and Young and especially the Deja Vu album. Great harmonies.

America, noted for the single "A Horse With No Name."

Lone Star, prog rock. Went to see them in Barnsley but they never turned up! :rant:

Camel, more prog rock.

And because of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44223523

I Have to include Hawkwind and this: :D

This thread has made me spend a lot on a new belt (coming tomorrow) for my genuine Sugden turntable made in Brighouse Yorkshire. Soon I can sample the above on vinyl again, so thanks for that..:)

Crosby Stills, Nash and Young and especially the Deja Vu album. Great harmonies.

America, noted for the single "A Horse With No Name."

Lone Star, prog rock. Went to see them in Barnsley but they never turned up! :rant:

Camel, more prog rock.

And because of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44223523

I Have to include Hawkwind and this: :D

This thread has made me spend a lot on a new belt (coming tomorrow) for my genuine Sugden turntable made in Brighouse Yorkshire. Soon I can sample the above on vinyl again, so thanks for that..:)

add some Wharfedale speakers and a laney amp for an all Yorkshire system.

ELO albums still sound good today, great band, one who imho has one or the best live albums ever is Peter Frampton, great guitarist too

The seventies produced so many great bands that are still around today, we were spoilt for choice, now with the advent of the internet most of the music produced then can still be heard today.

Have a listen to Johnny Walker on Radio 2 on Sunday afternoons.

The majority of my music collection is 70's rock so I revisit that era most days. This week i've listened to ELP, Mott The Hoople and Sparks. I'm taking some Hawkwind and Eno to play at work this afternoon.