We are all poorer, much poorer

Of course there are those who are intimidated by politics in general, and those who sadly imagine politicians to be somehow their betters and simply trust their government. And then there are those manipulated by the Sun or the Daily Mail, those too tired to do otherwise than slump, exhausted in front of the cynical soporific campaigns offered by Sky TV or the soaps, quiz or reality shows after working all hours, those successfully distracted by sport and celebrity, or by the branded sedative of consumer culture.

Meanwhile the tories, and their corporate friends in this country, the UK, simply ignore their tax responsibilities. Instead they use their class privileges and their elevated positions and cosy associations to destroy the services we most of us rely upon for our education, health and care needs, siphon public money into their own pockets, exploit workers, and generally enjoy a bonanza as the rest of us struggle under an ongoing ideologically imposed austerity policy, and limp on through the hostile climate created by the prime minister and her vicious cronies.

There is enormous hope however, since the young are waking up to the fact that their futures have been appropriated by the privileged class. They see their futures - no chance of owning a home and therefore being forced to enrich private landlords, and look forward to careers as rewarding as delivering fast food or branded consumer goods once they leave university (with an eye-watering student loan debt). Demographically the tories are temporally doomed by this factor. Hope indeed!

Of course there are those who are intimidated by politics in general, and those who sadly imagine politicians to be somehow their betters and simply trust their government. And then there are those manipulated by the Sun or the Daily Mail, those too tired to do otherwise than slump, exhausted in front of the cynical soporific campaigns offered by Sky TV or the soaps, quiz or reality shows after working all hours, those successfully distracted by sport and celebrity, or by the branded sedative of consumer culture.

Meanwhile the tories, and their corporate friends in this country, the UK, simply ignore their tax responsibilities. Instead they use their class privileges and their elevated positions and cosy associations to destroy the services we most of us rely upon for our education, health and care needs, siphon public money into their own pockets, exploit workers, and generally enjoy a bonanza as the rest of us struggle under an ongoing ideologically imposed austerity policy, and limp on through the hostile climate created by the prime minister and her vicious cronies.

There is enormous hope however, since the young are waking up to the fact that their futures have been appropriated by the privileged class. They see their futures - no chance of owning a home and therefore being forced to enrich private landlords, and look forward to careers as rewarding as delivering fast food or branded consumer goods once they leave university (with an eye-watering student loan debt). Demographically the tories are temporally doomed by this factor. Hope indeed!

Quibble, bluster, obfuscation, distraction - all to be expected from the supporters of Corbyn.

Which is it? Are UK citizens exploiting the rest of the world or are they being exploited themselves? Or is it both?

These diatribes are tiresome. Life is never perfect but we in the UK clearly do not do too badly in

the scheme of things.

Edited by Jonny5

I think it's hysterical that some people use the word "Tory" as an insult. It exposes their very narrow view of the world and a deep lack of empathy.

I for one have some sympathy for many tories, who are entirely unaware that the party they support has been subject to a hostile take-over and transformed by an altogether more malign and destructive ideology. Indeed neoliberalism is at odds with many of the traditional conservative's basic principles as it subverts institutions, supplants the slow, measured principles of reform with aggressive destruction, restructures steady accumulation in favour of reckless appropriation. And I meet and converse with many tories who are bewildered by the downturn in the opportunities now being visited on their own children and grandchildren.

The vicious destructive ideology of neoliberalism serves no one but the very few, at the expense of everyone else, here in the UK and across the world!

I for one have some sympathy for many tories, who are entirely unaware that the party they support has been subject to a hostile take-over and transformed by an altogether more malign and destructive ideology. Indeed neoliberalism is at odds with many of the traditional conservative's basic principles as it subverts institutions, supplants the slow, measured principles of reform with aggressive destruction, restructures steady accumulation in favour of reckless appropriation. And I meet and converse with many tories who are bewildered by the downturn in the opportunities now being visited on their own children and grandchildren.

The vicious destructive ideology of neoliberalism serves no one but the very few, at the expense of everyone else, here in the UK and across the world!

So neoliberalism hasn’t been a primary factor in the massive reduction in the percentage of people living in absolute poverty globally, the reason why rates of people receiving a basic education has shot up, rates of literacy have shot up, infant mortality rates are down, etc etc.

If it hasn’t been, what has?

So neoliberalism hasn’t been a primary factor in the massive reduction in the percentage of people living in absolute poverty globally, the reason why rates of people receiving a basic education has shot up, rates of literacy have shot up, infant mortality rates are down, etc etc.

If it hasn’t been, what has?

You'll have to go away and engage in a great deal of work if you wish to demonstrate these claims and provide evidence that the neoliberal project has been the agent of delivery for those advances you cite.

You'll have to go away and engage in a great deal of work if you wish to demonstrate these claims and provide evidence that the neoliberal project has been the agent of delivery for those advances you cite.

Famine.

There's no need to engage in a great deal of work when one word will do.

So answer my question. If it wasn’t neolibralism, then what was it?

So answer my question. If it wasn’t neolibralism, then what was it?

No stamina? Avoiding the question?

No stamina? Avoiding the question?

You realise I asked you a question first - if you’re going to criticise people for failing to answer your questions, I suggest you answer the ones posited to you first, or it makes you look somewhat foolish..

I will answer your question when you answer mine - I don’t want to topic to get taken off course without people seeing that you are unable to give an answer.

And of course, anyone is welcome to google and read the myriad of research papers that clearly demonstrate the key role neoliberalism has had in the things I mentioned.

Answer my question, and I’ll post links to some of them.

You realise I asked you a question first - if you’re going to criticise people for failing to answer your questions, I suggest you answer the ones posited to you first, or it makes you look somewhat foolish..

I will answer your question when you answer mine - I don’t want to topic to get taken off course without people seeing that you are unable to give an answer.

And of course, anyone is welcome to google and read the myriad of research papers that clearly demonstrate the key role neoliberalism has had in the things I mentioned.

Answer my question, and I’ll post links to some of them.

Eyup, we’ve got all the makings of a ‘my dad’s bigger than your dad’ post. :hihi:

This is a 'None argument' really.

The Government (Collectively and whoever are in power.)... are hell bent on making us work until we drop and for peanuts. Slowly rising the pension age by the back door to boot.!

While ever folk are in Deb't they can't mobilise and cause riots. They are way too busy working every hour god sends to keep afloat/pay the bills/rent/mortgage..

If folk actually 'HAD THE TIME' to think about what their government was doing to them, then there WOULD be Riots.

We are way too soft in this country and OUR Government know it.!!