Lunchtime work food

While working in the steel works we used to take a mashing can .When it got empty this was afternoon shift when waiting for bars to heat up ,we sent the cans to the pub to have a pint put in them also you could get a pass out to go for a drink then return to do the work Wouldn't happen today

While working in the steel works we used to take a mashing can .When it got empty this was afternoon shift when waiting for bars to heat up ,we sent the cans to the pub to have a pint put in them also you could get a pass out to go for a drink then return to do the work Wouldn't happen today

Some breweries gave out free beer at lunchtime to employees. Worked as a contractor in some power stations in Lancashire and they had clubs where you could buy beer adjacent to the canteen.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 12:38 ----------

Mashing can lol. I think mashing tea is a south Yorkshire term. When I first came to Canada I was sharing my house with a young lad from Middlesborough until my wife and daughter arrived. We were both on afternoon shift, so both home in the morning.When I get up ,he was already up I said "has tha mashed". He said " yer don't have any taters." :D Apparently, although a Yorkshireman himself, he had never heard that term for making tea before.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Some breweries gave out free beer at lunchtime to employees. Worked as a contractor in some power stations in Lancashire and they had clubs where you could buy beer adjacent to the canteen.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 12:38 ----------

Mashing can lol. I think mashing tea is a south Yorkshire term. When I first came to Canada I was sharing my house with a young lad from Middlesborough until my wife and daughter arrived. We were both on afternoon shift, so both home in the morning.When I get up ,he was already up I said "has tha mashed". He said " yer don't have any taters." :D Apparently, although a Yorkshireman himself, he had never heard that term for making tea before.

Wonder what the Middlesbrough term for 'Mashed)/ mashing is (hello Mooks). I worked as a contractor in (what was then) Lancashire a few times : Manchester, Oldham, Bolton etc and they were always going to 'Brew', tea of course.

I started my first job at Firth Browns in 1960, mi mam used too give me 2 shillings a day for my dinner..............Dripping cake 3d... 10 park drive....and a bit of change left over.

we used to toast what ever sandwich we had for pack up on the salamander with a welding rod toasting fork. Dripping is my favourite toastie done this way..

we used to toast what ever sandwich we had for pack up on the salamander with a welding rod toasting fork. Dripping is my favourite toastie done this way..

'Salamander' ?

'Salamander' ?

He means an oven or open hearth furnace, not the lizard lol

'Salamander' ?

salamanders were used as space heaters in large buildings basically it was a container ,imagine a beer barrel cut about 1 third up and half filled with fuel , on top of that was a sort of lid with a chimney attached and a pipe from the air gap on top of the paraffin or diesel fuel to about halfway up the chimney, the fuel was set on fire using a rolled up news paper, it would use up to 5 gallons a day. The factory inspector eventually banned them after reports of them toppling over ,ours was screwed down.