Lunchtime work food

Does anyone still take sandwiches to work for lunch ,with all the take aways etc so convenient but years ago before all these sprung up what did you take to work for lunch. I remember my dad back inthe 50s use to take cold bacon sandwiches , mum would make his pack up the night before and put it in his bag for work , a khaki nap sack from the army and general store

My husband worked for Bass on Claywheels Lane but didn't use the canteen. For 30+ years he took the same pack-up every day and never tired of it - mackerel sandwiches!! I also packed them the night before.

I had a tuna salad with mayo, on French for donkey’s years, how sad is that? :(

You should consider getting your mercury levels checked :)

Probably not as sad as my cheese and onion..

Does anyone still take sandwiches to work for lunch ,with all the take aways etc so convenient but years ago before all these sprung up what did you take to work for lunch. I remember my dad back inthe 50s use to take cold bacon sandwiches , mum would make his pack up the night before and put it in his bag for work , a khaki nap sack from the army and general store

not forgetting the enamel billy can and some mashings wrapped in news paper

My first husband worked down the pit and always took either dripping or jam sandwiches. Not worth having anything nice as the pit ponies could manage to get into your snap tin and steal them. Years later when working on building sites one of his fav fillings was mashed potato.

No matter what my sandwiches were they were always in an OXO tin with 2 elastic bands :D

You should consider getting your mercury levels checked :)

So that’s why the wife says that I look good in the dark, I thought that she was being sarkey. :hihi:

No matter what my sandwiches were they were always in an OXO tin with 2 elastic bands :D

Yes OXO tins, great receptacles, were the elastic bands for dessert Mr.T ?

In the early 1970s Bread and dripping with salt on bread cakes in paper bags

Used to have that everyday when a lad at BSC Sheffield road

Not sure it would be on the menu today.

Your cold bacon reference reminds me of a chap many years ago who, if we worked Saturday morning, would bring in cold fish and chips which he had bought Friday night on his way home from the pub. He would sit down with us and eat them stone cold at the mid-morning break, he wouldn't even bother warming them up in the welding rod oven. At least his tea was hot lol. This was not a one-off, he did it every Saturday he worked :gag:

Edited by Ontarian1981