As a Tory voter, are you offended by being called 'Gammon face'?

37 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It's a cheap and nasty attempt at trying to be clever - and failing. Because I can't be bothered to go trawling for the information on such a childish subject, anyone know which 'clever' individual thought the term up?

It's not 100% clear but it was used by Dickens in Nicholas Nickelby apparently.

38 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It's a cheap and nasty attempt at trying to be clever - and failing. Because I can't be bothered to go trawling for the information on such a childish subject, anyone know which 'clever' individual thought the term up?

Yes, Charles Dickens

1 minute ago, whiteowl said:

It's not 100% clear but it was used by Dickens in Nicholas Nickelby apparently.

@whiteowl - so whoever 'repurposed' it wasn't even inventive enough not to poach then?

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yes, Charles Dickens

Thanks - and see my answer above.

7 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Well, @ElCid - I'm what some might call old (I don't see myself as such), I'm definitely to the right of those on the left, have always been opposed to the EU (and its predecessors}. decidedly not racist - I take people as I find them, not based on colour or creed, decidedly not stuck in the past - but prepared to learn from it, and admit it exists, don't drink - so that's a definite no, and don't get angry about insignificant things, or those that I can't change.

So where do I fit?😄

BTW - I'm a floating voter - was even stupid enough to vote for Tony Blair, but learnt my lesson there.

People that have a negative view of Tony Blair are generally on the left. He and Maggie were long serving Prime Ministers, so have been endorsed by a majority of people, even though some are vocal against them.

Are you just left of center?

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

People that have a negative view of Tony Blair are generally on the left. He and Maggie were long serving Prime Ministers, so have been endorsed by a majority of people, even though some are vocal against them.

Are you just left of center?

No - I think most people would regard me as 'just right' of centre , if we have to start labelling everyone.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

No - I think most people would regard me as 'just right' of centre , if we have to start labelling everyone.

Having a fundamental objection to being in the EU, can be right or left. I was always anti-EU, but when it came to the vote, I decided leaving the EU would change nothing and the risks in leaving was not worth any posible gains.

Why would a centrist dislike Tony Blair, the war?

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Having a fundamental objection to being in the EU, can be right or left. I was always anti-EU, but when it came to the vote, I decided leaving the EU would change nothing and the risks in leaving was not worth any posible gains.

Why would a centrist dislike Tony Blair, the war?

Fair enough - we'll agree to disagree on the EU question

Why did a 'centrist' dislike Tony Blair? The war and associated lies and deceit, and his attitude since 'leaving' politics to increase his already large income - hardly very 'comradely', wouldn't you say?

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Edited by Mister Gee

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough - we'll agree to disagree on the EU question

Why did a 'centrist' dislike Tony Blair? The war and associated lies and deceit, and his attitude since 'leaving' politics to increase his already large income - hardly very 'comradely', wouldn't you say?

A Prime Minister that was not rich, that would be strange. The mega famous can get paid thousands or millions just to endorse a product or give a speech. Again, its rather a left wing trait to be jealous of rich people.

I personally would rarely use the word 'comrade', maybe that was just for effect.

According to YouGov Profiles, 28% of Britons describe themselves as left-wing and 25% consider themselves right-wing. A further 19% place themselves in the centre and the remaining 29% don’t know.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/14/left-wing-vs-right-wing-its-complicated

The bottom one is the most revealing.

Left%20and%20right%20wing%20views-01.png

Edited by El Cid

Guest makapaka

Everyone needs to wake up.

the point of view doesn’t have to be left or right.

it’s what’s right and wrong.

all this gammon/woke/snowflake rubbish is a complete sideshow.

WAKE UP!

12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Everyone needs to wake up.

the point of view doesn’t have to be left or right.

it’s what’s right and wrong.

all this gammon/woke/snowflake rubbish is a complete sideshow.

WAKE UP!

But "right" could be "Boris is doing his best" to "Boris has acted too slowly, ignored advice and feathered the nests of his friends, and thousands died because of his inactions". Both can't be right.

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But "right" could be "Boris is doing his best" to "Boris has acted too slowly, ignored advice and feathered the nests of his friends, and thousands died because of his inactions". Both can't be right.

But it’s not because one side are gammons and one side are snowflakes.

that just plays into their hands. It doesn’t have to be binary.

im amazed by the complacency (not yours) but  people need to stop calling each other gammons and snowflakes and think.