As a Tory voter, are you offended by being called 'Gammon face'?

1 minute ago, the_bloke said:

No one cares about being called a 'gammon' - do people even say this anymore? - but I still believe it's a derogatory term and if people take offence at similar derogatory slurs based on the colour of someone's skin then they are hypocrites for calling white people 'gammon'. If it doesn't make sense calling a black person 'gammon' then it's clearly a racial slur. Andrew Neil is right.

People can't take the moral high ground and act as if they are bastions of moral virtue and above playground name calling, then go around calling people 'gammon' without a whiff of hypocrisy in the air.

👍 @the_bloke - but some can't see that, unfortunately.

6 hours ago, RollingJ said:

A simple question, @Mister M- why bring up a 2.1/2 year old topic to try and stir things, just when the forum seems to be becoming a little less like a junior school playground?

EDIT: Hang on, I have worked it out - you are a bit of of a muck-stirrer.

I did think myself if I'm honest.

Guest makapaka
39 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I did think myself if I'm honest.

It was back in the news yesterday because of Andrew Neil calling it a racist slur - I think that’s why.

Thanks @makapaka- didn't know that as I don't bother following what passes as 'the news' these days.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Surely the only people that will be offended by the term 'gammon' are the ones that believe that they are gammons.

The traits of a gammon are - right wing, old, anti-EU, racist, stuck in the past, pink face from too much alcohol and angry.

Is that you, its not me.

And overwhelmingly male.

3 hours ago, the_bloke said:

No one cares about being called a 'gammon' - do people even say this anymore? - but I still believe it's a derogatory term and if people take offence at similar derogatory slurs based on the colour of someone's skin then they are hypocrites for calling white people 'gammon'. If it doesn't make sense calling a black person 'gammon' then it's clearly a racial slur. Andrew Neil is right.

People can't take the moral high ground and act as if they are bastions of moral virtue and above playground name calling, then go around calling people 'gammon' without a whiff of hypocrisy in the air.

I'm not sure about this. It refers to men, aged about 40+, with a sense of angry entitlement based on nationalistic jingoism. White men, yes, but only a subset of white people generally. If there is a racist slur that refers to a specific subset of Black or brown people then there would be greater equivalence between the two, but I can't think of any.

3 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Do you not think cleverly is a gammon? Patel is queen of the gammons surely?

25 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm not sure about this. It refers to men, aged about 40+, with a sense of angry entitlement based on nationalistic jingoism. White men, yes, but only a subset of white people generally. If there is a racist slur that refers to a specific subset of Black or brown people then there would be greater equivalence between the two, but I can't think of any.

Sounds like you're referring to the NF , or whatever umbrella they gather under these day - I'd be careful, if they find you, it may be dangerous.

Edited by RollingJ

12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do you not think cleverly is a gammon? Patel is queen of the gammons surely?

I've never heard anyone call Patel a gammon. I think she takes enough racial abuse from one part of society that deems her being 'too white' and enough from another section of society that deems her 'too brown'.

It's a quick way of describing a certain demographic, but I'm not sure it's acceptable to be insulting, then again it's never stopped the Tory party.

Just now, Anna B said:

It's a quick way of describing a certain demographic, but I'm not sure it's acceptable to be insulting, then again it's never stopped the Tory party.

It's a cheap and nasty attempt at trying to be clever - and failing. Because I can't be bothered to go trawling for the information on such a childish subject, anyone know which 'clever' individual thought the term up?