Arctic Monkeys new album

Guest makapaka
It just feels like its all about him. All the interviews make me feel the same too.

The guitars werent inspiring HIM anymore, HE got a piano, HE'S embarrassed by his old lyrics etc etc.

I get that they reinvent themselves to an extent with every album, but theyve always kept the things that make them them. The wit, the catchy choruses etc. I feel like thats all gone with this album.

The songs all sound too similar. None are particularly memorable. Publicity-wise tho theyve played a blinder, I cant remember any album talked about more than this one.

I will give it another go, mainly because we're going to see them, but I also cant imagine how any of the tracks will come across in a live gig?

Have to wait and see I suppose.

In terms of the live gigs they played a set in Brooklyn last week and only 4 of the new album were played - I think you're right that some of the songs probably wouldn't come across great live - particularly in a big venue.

After a few more listens I think the first song is the worst on the album and is too long - try starting at track 2 and going from there.

In terms of the wit - the lyrics to this album are outstanding - as good as anything they've done.

As much as I love the older stuff as well - if you hold something like "Mardy Bum" up against the title track of this new album there's no comparison in terms of the quality of music.

In terms of the live gigs they played a set in Brooklyn last week and only 4 of the new album were played - I think you're right that some of the songs probably wouldn't come across great live - particularly in a big venue.

After a few more listens I think the first song is the worst on the album and is too long - try starting at track 2 and going from there.

In terms of the wit - the lyrics to this album are outstanding - as good as anything they've done.

As much as I love the older stuff as well - if you hold something like "Mardy Bum" up against the title track of this new album there's no comparison in terms of the quality of music.

Perhaps not but for him to say hes embarrassed by those early lyrics is terrible, theyre the lyrics that made them famous and made people love them enough to stick with them.

As for playing 4 songs on the tour, at least thats 4 opportunities to go to the bar or the loo ;).

I do think its possibly a good album to have on in the background, if youre reading a book or something, but after the long wait I just wanted something I could sing along to, and theres not one song on it I could ever imagine doing that to.

But, as I said, Ill persevere with it and see if it grows on me. I just think its a shame that I have to.

I get that they reinvent themselves to an extent with every album, but theyve always kept the things that make them them. The wit, the catchy choruses etc. I feel like thats all gone with this album.

Makes me think of the Foo Fighters new album, which i actually, its ace

Guest makapaka
Perhaps not but for him to say hes embarrassed by those early lyrics is terrible, theyre the lyrics that made them famous and made people love them enough to stick with them.

As for playing 4 songs on the tour, at least thats 4 opportunities to go to the bar or the loo ;).

I do think its possibly a good album to have on in the background, if youre reading a book or something, but after the long wait I just wanted something I could sing along to, and theres not one song on it I could ever imagine doing that to.

But, as I said, Ill persevere with it and see if it grows on me. I just think its a shame that I have to.

He didn’t actually say he was embarrassed by the old lyrics - that was the headline but he actually said that he listened back through and there were a few he winced at and would probably have left out in hindsight.

I suppose “is it a Mecca Dobber or a betting pencil” might be up there for example

That’s not really saying he’s embarassed by them - anymore than we might looking back at something we said / did in the past.

yes, it has been described as pompous and self-indulgent, and the stylists have had a field day...but I think this could be my favourite album of theirs, partly because I don't particularly like much of their previous stuff and partly because some of the new material sounds like they're (i.e Turner) is trying to be Richard Hawley, which is obviously a good thing, but Richard Hawley is better at it. The other challenge for the band is getting these songs to work live in the arenas they now play, with their dreadful acoustics. Along with the fact that they've never been as good a live band as they should be, they're going to need to work really hard to keep the audience with them.

In response to those complaining that the album is ''all about him'', meaning Turner - well duh!

He's the main creative force in the band and he writes most of the music and all the lyrics - it's be pretty weird if it was from someone else's point of view wouldn't it?

Guest makapaka
In response to those complaining that the album is ''all about him'', meaning Turner - well duh!

He's the main creative force in the band and he writes most of the music and all the lyrics - it's be pretty weird if it was from someone else's point of view wouldn't it?

Absolutely - it's not much of a secret that he takes the lead. I'm sure the rest of the band aren't complaining as this latest album heads to the top of the charts !

never really been a fan apart from the odd listen here and there, always prefered Little man tate

I thought deepcar based little man tate had packed up

Guest makapaka

Nikki the interview with Annie Mac is on YouTube now. The embarassed thing isn’t true - he doesn’t say anything like it - just that he wouldn’t do some bits the same.

Nikki the interview with Annie Mac is on YouTube now. The embarassed thing isn’t true - he doesn’t say anything like it - just that he wouldn’t do some bits the same.

I know, I saw it earlier. He winces/cringes at some of them.

I played the album again in my car on my way to work earlier. I tried my best but the only song I managed to listen to in its entirety was Four out of Five.

It was always going to divide people and I probably will play it again, but its just not for me. It would be an extremely boring world if we all liked the same things :)

Edited by nikki-red

Guest makapaka
I know, I saw it earlier. He winces/cringes at some of them.

I played the album again in my car on my way to work earlier. I tried my best but the only song I managed to listen to in its entirety was Four out of Five.

It was always going to divide people and I probably will play it again, but its just not for me. It would be an extremely boring world if we all liked the same things :)

Absolutely- I’m not trying to talk you into something you don’t like.

Same to you medusa?

To me it just sounds like they've had way too much time contemplating their navels before recording the album. You are, of course, allowed to have an opinion that differs from mine, but having streamed the album a couple of times I'm glad I hadn't spent good money on buying it, and will move on to something with which I'm more enamored.