Vapour Trails this Morning

The sight of a dozen or more vapour trails converging to a point on the eastern horizon is quite common, particularly at this time of year when the trails are picked out by the rising sun in clear spring air. The atmospheric conditions are good for forming vapour trails.

FlightRadar24 will show you exactly what is happening.

Hundreds of planes are timed to depart before take off curfews in North America to arrive in Europe and the Middle East in the morning.

Planes are required to follow set routes and are kept miles apart. As they approach the horizon over the East Anglian coast they appear to converge and the distances between them appear very small.

Iv'e spotted some in the past, very close together.

Turns out they were jets re fueling

True story this.

I was once walking my dog in Concord Park, must have been in the late 1980's. This took place around late morning I think (but not 100% sure).

Some parts of Concord look down over the M1 motorway, I'm thinking of the path that runs through the middle of Concord down to Woolley woods. We were on the upper part of it, walking towards Woolley woods.

We're just walking along, and I'm watching the traffic going along the M1, and the dog suddenly sits down to watch this bloomin' great Hercules transport (or similar) that just appears from the north side, following the M1, going south.

Now I couldn't say how low or high it was, but from where we were on the footpath, we looked DOWN on the aircraft. I could more or less see the upper part of the wings.

Amazing sight, and even the dog sort of looked and thought, what the 'ell was that! Then it was gone.

Absolutely true.

Did anybody else see the jet planes flying over this morning at around 09:00? They were not passenger aircraft because they were flying to close together over towards the east, there must have been around eight or nine together.

It could have been the Red Arrows practicing their 2018 display. There would have been 8 or 9 of them.

Their season starts on the 2nd june