Fox & Duck Broomhill

What is Broomhill like for drinking these days. been a few years since I have been?

Broomhill Tavern - usual Doombar, Farmers Blonde, Moonshine, nice pub and shows a lot sport so wouldn't surprise me if they showing a lot of World Cup.

Itchy Pig - micropub and ales change all the time.

The York - more of a food place, pub split into 2, one side food other to sit and drink, they have True North ales on and a few guest ales.

Bloomery - they have about 4 ale pumps and 5 craft/keg ales on, also a sporty pub. Ales change.

Nottingham House - only a couple of ale pumps and always find Timothy Taylor Landlord and Doombar, sometimes Moonshine, their pies are popular, never tried one.

Fox and Duck - not been in since refurb and ale change.

Where's a good place for wine can anyone advise?

The York would probably be the best.

---------- Post added 15-06-2018 at 13:09 ----------

My tuppence:

Broomhill Tavern - usual Doombar, Farmers Blonde, Moonshine, nice pub and shows a lot sport so wouldn't surprise me if they showing a lot of World Cup.

Yep, beer-wise it's a standard (but always well-kept) selection, but otherwise an excellent, no-nonsense boozer. One to visit if you just fancy a relaxed, good pub experience and casual pint quaffing. The lounge on the left provides a quiet area away from the sport tellys, unless there's a big match on.

Itchy Pig - micropub and ales change all the time.

Cask and keg craft beers. Nice friendly bloke who owns it. Hard to get a seat some of the time though due to it's nature :)

The York - more of a food place, pub split into 2, one side food other to sit and drink, they have True North ales on and a few guest ales.

Gastropub, gets busy with the after-work crowd. Great whisky and gin selection. I've always liked it, as long as I can get a seat.

Bloomery - they have about 4 ale pumps and 5 craft/keg ales on, also a sporty pub. Ales change.

Went last week for the first time in years, and was pleasantly surprised by the beer selection. I had the Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland on keg. Food (and decor)-wise it's quite American in style.

Nottingham House - only a couple of ale pumps and always find Timothy Taylor Landlord and Doombar, sometimes Moonshine, their pies are popular, never tried one.

Not been for a long time. Doesn't sound like it's changed a lot though!

Fox and Duck - not been in since refurb and ale change.

Ditto, hoping to get there tonight.

First visit today after the refurbishment. The pub is nice and clean and the food menu has been greatly expanded.

The choice of beer is quite limited but the Doctor Mortons I had was nice enough. However I had to query the price. Its £1 off all cask ales on a Sunday so I was puzzled at being charged £2.90. Apparently it was correct and it's usually £3.90, which is extortionate for a commonplace 4% beer.

The good thing about Broomhill is that it has retained it’s pubs, resisting turning them into restaurants, or even worse, apartments. :thumbsup:

First visit today after the refurbishment. The pub is nice and clean and the food menu has been greatly expanded.

The choice of beer is quite limited but the Doctor Mortons I had was nice enough. However I had to query the price. Its £1 off all cask ales on a Sunday so I was puzzled at being charged £2.90. Apparently it was correct and it's usually £3.90, which is extortionate for a commonplace 4% beer.

£3.90!? It can rot in the pump at that price for me!

As has been said, The York probably has the best choice.

The Bloomery has had decent white wine, in the past, not sure about Red.

The Itchy Pig is very limited but the wine is good, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Australian Shiraz. They also have sparking white and (I think) a Rose.

Broomhill Tav - think the wine is passable.

Notty House - limited selection

Mrs Grappler drinks wine, so the above is based on her findings.

Tried it last night. It's all right. The decor is better anyway. They seem to have gone for a budget version of the York. I don't like all the writing everywhere though and the random old objects.

The sight of Doom Bar on the handpumps put me off looking further so I had a fizzy keg beer which was OK.

I'm sat outside right now. They've done a great job with the beer garden. Proper smartened it up, including an enclosed heated area for cancer sticks. Inside, it's ok, but it's obvious the corporate interior designers have been on it. It's lost the relaxed loungey feel it had before. However, it's busier than it would've been this time of year, with the students gone.

My main gripe is the beer choice. It's gone back in time ten years. I mean, Doom Bar and Deuchars as the regulars, with bland guests, really?? Only thing I fancied was Jaipur on keg and that is bland by today's standards. Literally nothing interesting in the fridges. You get a much better choice in the Bloomery. Now, I'm not criticising the staff. They are really nice. I just think this would do so much better as a free house.

I'm sat outside right now. They've done a great job with the beer garden. Proper smartened it up, including an enclosed heated area for cancer sticks. Inside, it's ok, but it's obvious the corporate interior designers have been on it. It's lost the relaxed loungey feel it had before. However, it's busier than it would've been this time of year, with the students gone.

My main gripe is the beer choice. It's gone back in time ten years. I mean, Doom Bar and Deuchars as the regulars, with bland guests, really?? Only thing I fancied was Jaipur on keg and that is bland by today's standards. Literally nothing interesting in the fridges. You get a much better choice in the Bloomery. Now, I'm not criticising the staff. They are really nice. I just think this would do so much better as a free house.

Thanks for the update. I've driven past and thought it looked interesting from the outside. But I don't do mainstream, fake real ale, so I'll give it a miss I think.

Not been in since it was done up, but I will do, to give it a chance, however, I can't see anything beating The Itchy Pig for beer choice.

I went in for a quick half and some lunch with a pal - it looks a lot better and the outside seating area is now rather nice.

The food was quite expensive for what it was (a burger) but it was very tasty.

It was absolutely boiling so I just had some kind of lager but it seemed to do the trick albeit not served in the right kind of glass. Definitely worth a visit.

Has anyone been in Blues since it changed from SouthSea? It has great reviews but I've not managed it yet! Looks interesting!