Free Cookery Lessons for Parents at School

With obesity on the increase surely we need to invest in cookery lessons for parents within schools?

So would it not make sense for the schools to provide a time slot, 2pm in the afternoon for example and set up some lessons to teach parents how to cook from fresh?

There are cookery facilities in schools so why not use these facilities to teach the parents?

If they were too idle to learn when they were younger, what makes you think that they would attend lessons as adults.

There are many initiatives already being ignored by those that you would choose to target.

Let natural selection run its course.

.... or if you want to run some classes, why not go ahead?

There is no need to burden schools with a road to nowhere.

Edited by cgksheff

If they were too idle to learn when they were younger, what makes you think that they would attend lessons as adults.

There are many initiatives already being ignored by those that you would choose to target.

Let natural selection run its course.

.... or if you want to run some classes, why not go ahead?

There is no need to burden schools with a road to nowhere.

What a charmer you are!

What a charmer you are!

Well .... forum posting is sometimes like 'pubchat'.

Some stuff needs killing off before it spoils putting the world to rights.

With obesity on the increase surely we need to invest in cookery lessons for parents within schools?

So would it not make sense for the schools to provide a time slot, 2pm in the afternoon for example and set up some lessons to teach parents how to cook from fresh?

There are cookery facilities in schools so why not use these facilities to teach the parents?

Who do you suggest does the teaching?

Who do you suggest does the teaching?

The teachers

Or

The council could employ some chefs as the tutors

The teachers

Or

The council could employ some chefs as the tutors

You reckon teachers have spare time and councils have spare cash? Now I know you're a wind up....

You reckon teachers have spare time and councils have spare cash? Now I know you're a wind up....

Society is losing the war with obesity

Something needs to be done or we all pay far more in years to come

Society is losing the war with obesity

Something needs to be done or we all pay far more in years to come

In answer to the boldened bit - people need to take responsibility for their own lives!

This pretty much nails it.

There is a train of thought that goes that with just a little more state intervention, people's problems can all be solved. Well, they can't.

Can't be ars*d to potty train your kid? Don't worry, the school will do it. And teach them to use a knife and fork, tie their shoes, and talk (not joking here).

There are people who aren't daft, and play the system for all they can get. If they don't do it they know that the state will, that it will "give them the help that they need" - and never stop giving, in some cases.

I know this is cynical but as has been said, people need to take responsibility for themselves sometimes.

This pretty much nails it.

There is a train of thought that goes that with just a little more state intervention, people's problems can all be solved. Well, they can't.

Can't be ars*d to potty train your kid? Don't worry, the school will do it. And teach them to use a knife and fork, tie their shoes, and talk (not joking here).

There are people who aren't daft, and play the system for all they can get. If they don't do it they know that the state will, that it will "give them the help that they need" - and never stop giving, in some cases.

I know this is cynical but as has been said, people need to take responsibility for themselves sometimes.

My mum taught me the basics of cooking which gave me the confidence to learn the rest myself. I don't think we should be too harsh on people whose parents failed to teach them what they needed for adult life. I mean, if we are supposed to take responsibility for learning everything as adults then parents don't need to teach their kids anything, right? It makes sense in many ways to help people learn to cook, it's a good idea.

Cookery lessons for children would be the way forward. I know how to cook basic meals, but I find microwave meals much quicker and easier to control portion size.

There is no one answer to obesity; allowing manufactures to pump ultra refined sugars in many things is an issue.