Whats the worst roundabout In Sheffield

Magic Roundabout - swindon

https://goo.gl/maps/He8iUSZuBd82

Go to streetview for a close up

If I remember correctly, the idea at Brook Hill was to experiment with several different designs -

The magic roundabout,

A small central island with lots of lanes around it, and

A large central island with just two lanes around it.

The experiment of magic roundabouts at Brook Hill was a great idea :huh::loopy: with a double decker bus parked in a middle roundabout so the experts could film the chaos they had created. It did not last long (maybe even an hour) before the police had to get involved due to complete and utter grid lock.

I believe they stopped all traffic on every entrance while the grid lock in the middle was cleared. The mini roundabouts, made from old tyres were removed and one 'normal' roundabout made with the tyres. Traffic was steadily released and every thing flowed well.

I don't know what was said to the experts but they seemed to disappear where the sun doesn't shine.

Bad as Brook Hill is now, it is a vast improvement on the magic roundabouts experiment that was tried. I wonder if the problem was that the experts had been on the magic mushrooms when they were designing the magic roundabouts :cool:

There is a similar one in Hemel Hempstead that i used to use on driving assessments for prospective new staff. If they got it right it showed common sense and went a long way towards getting them the job. If they got it wrong they definitely failed the application.

I had to drive a company van around that roundabout on my first day in a new job 20 years ago. One of the most terrifying experiences of my life. For the record I survived, and so did the van.

Regarding Brookhill, I fully agree with posters who have said that this is the worst roundabout in Sheffield due to volume of traffic and the unhelpfully placed pedestrian crossings. Also, what's with the random traffic lights not for a pedestrian crossing on the Bolsover Street approach? Seem to randomly going red holding up the already disadvantaged traffic flow from the Walkley direction. Have seen several cars and a bus completely ignore these.

The experiment of magic roundabouts at Brook Hill was a great idea :huh::loopy: with a double decker bus parked in a middle roundabout so the experts could film the chaos they had created. It did not last long (maybe even an hour) before the police had to get involved due to complete and utter grid lock.

I believe they stopped all traffic on every entrance while the grid lock in the middle was cleared. The mini roundabouts, made from old tyres were removed and one 'normal' roundabout made with the tyres. Traffic was steadily released and every thing flowed well.

I don't know what was said to the experts but they seemed to disappear where the sun doesn't shine.

Bad as Brook Hill is now, it is a vast improvement on the magic roundabouts experiment that was tried. I wonder if the problem was that the experts had been on the magic mushrooms when they were designing the magic roundabouts :cool:

Yet it works in Swinton. Maybe it's just that Sheffield's drivers aren't very good.

Hemel Hempstead

Map

I used to do this one regularly, it works really well. It's easy to cycle round as well.

I used to have a vendetta against Park Square but since using it every rush hour for the past 6 months, I've realised it really isn't that bad if you just use common sense and follow the signs.

The problem with Park Square is everyone else who isn't following the signs or using common sense.

The problem with Park Square is everyone else who isn't following the signs or using common sense.

Ditto. "There's four lanes, I'm in the third...I think I need to go into the first :loopy:"

I used to have a vendetta against Park Square but since using it every rush hour for the past 6 months, I've realised it really isn't that bad if you just use common sense and follow the signs.

But it's not a roundabout any more. It's now a series of light controlled junctions.

This.

And this.

Maybe it's just that Sheffield's drivers aren't very good.

And especially this :D

My sister in law would rather pay for a Taxi than attempt to cross Brookhill , but I have always found the Ring road / Ecclesall rd junction worse .