Gp surgeries - Receptionists asking questions

Telephoned my doctors today to try and get an appointment ,was not any until

End off month then the reception asked me why I wanted to see the doctor and ask what was wrong with me,why is a receptionist with no medical knowledge

Asking this she’s there to make appointments and answer phone what happens if it was personal ? Don’t think this is right at all any other surgery’s in Sheffield doing this

Just doing her job, I would imagine.

Just thought what you talked to your doctor about was private and personal not to share with the receptionist and anyone else

Not from a Sheffield site but this explains pretty much why they do it...

Why does the receptionist ask me what’s wrong?

It is not a case of the receptionists being nosey!

The reception staff are members of the practice team and it has been agreed they should ask patients 'why they need to be seen'. Reception staff are trained to ask certain questions in order to ensure that you receive:

The most appropriate medical care

From the most appropriate health professional

At the most appropriate time

Receptionists are asked to collect brief information from patients

To help doctors prioritise house visits and phone calls

To ensure that all patients receive the appropriate level of care

To direct patients to see the nurse or other health professional rather than a doctor where appropriate

From...

http://www.thorpewoodmedicalgroup.nhs.uk/test-results,49282.htm

I'm quite fortunate in that the receptionists at my GPs are very professional and know their boundaries, and respect mine.

Like you I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing my details over the phone with the receptionist.

Even if she was well meaning, and thought that if she knew what was wrong she could suggest the pharmacist or the hospital, it's still an intrusion. And besides which, knowing the appropriate place to go is something that I would know anyway....

If you do feel strongly would you write to the practice manager?

Just thought what you talked to your doctor about was private and personal not to share with the receptionist and anyone else

Would have thought that a person working in a GPs would have to have a bit of medical knowledge.

It's not just your receptionist that asks why you need to see the doctor ours does too. You don't have to go into detail just say stomach pains,wo/men's problem etc.

This is so the doc has some idea of your problem and can look up your record and see if you've been before. Saves his and your time.

End off month then the reception asked me why I wanted to see the doctor and ask what was wrong with me,why is a receptionist with no medical knowledge

Asking this she’s there to make appointments and answer phone what happens if it was personal ? Don’t think this is right at all any other surgery’s in Sheffield doing this

She asks to find out whether it’s an emergency or not.

It's ok to tell the receptionist that you would prefer not to discuss it. It's just a way of finding out if its more appropriate for you to see a nurse or pharmacist rather than take a gp appointment unnecessarily (think of an ear that needs syringing or athletes foot for example).

I understand what you all mean ,but would you discuss your personal problems

With the bus driver on the way to the doctors or people as you buy a news paper

The people who work in the doctors are just receptionist not medically trained at all

In my opinion that’s why we have doctors

Usually, find at our Health Centre that if they say no appointments available if you say, ok I will go down to the walk-in center, an appointment magically appears out of nowhere. Been told its because the walk-in centre bill them for your visit, don't know how true it is.

It's because there are appointments available for urgent cases and home visits. The receptionist is only trying to judge whether you meet the criteria to see a Doctor quickly. It is worrying a person with no medical knowledge is making such judgements.