What could be wrong with our fridge freezer/

We have an AEG fridge-freezer - about 7 years old, but quite expensive so don't want to have to replace it yet!

The fridge part works perfectly, keeping to 4 degrees, but the temperature in the freezer fluctuates a great deal between minus 12 and minus 4, but never got up as far as zero degrees.

I've looked at the seals and they seem fine. The freezer is quite full, but no more so than usual.

Presumably it's not the compressor, as the fridge works fine. I've cleaned dust from the back but this makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Possibly needs more coolant, which is a quite inexpensive remedial measure. Of course, the issue remains that if it's running low on coolant, how did the previously full system end up not so full? That can be a lot more expensive.

How are you measuring the temperature? Does it have some sort of fancy temperature readout? It may be that this is broken.

They won't work to par unless the temperature is 16° or more I believe, my freezer doesn't seem to work as good in winter, as if it's packed in, but now I can here it charging up

Possibly needs more coolant, which is a quite inexpensive remedial measure. Of course, the issue remains that if it's running low on coolant, how did the previously full system end up not so full? That can be a lot more expensive.

DO you think this would be the case if the fridge part is working fine?

If it's keeping the food frozen, probably it's ok. If it's fairly new the freezer part is frostless. The freezer has to 'heat up' now and again to keep the frost from forming.

I noticed this same thing with ours. We have a deep freeze in our laundry room and the temp on that never fluctuates. But we have to manually defrost it. Mostly that consists of me chipping off big gobs of ice with a butter knife. What the hey, it works. :hihi:

If it's keeping the food frozen, probably it's ok. If it's fairly new the freezer part is frostless. The freezer has to 'heat up' now and again to keep the frost from forming.

I noticed this same thing with ours. We have a deep freeze in our laundry room and the temp on that never fluctuates. But we have to manually defrost it. Mostly that consists of me chipping off big gobs of ice with a butter knife. What the hey, it works. :hihi:

Use a hairblower dryer.

Use a hairblower dryer.

I really should, but there is something so satisfying about big pieces of ice just magically falling off. It's like those National Geographic videos with the icebergs. Haha.

One of these days I'm going to poke a hole in the side of the freezer and then I'll be sorry. :(

Edited by Sierra