Cheap train tickets from sheffield to liverpool

Hoping to go to Liverpool in August during the week but train tickets are £40 cheapest. Any ideas how I can get a cheaper ticket? Is it more expensive to go on a specific day of the week?

Cheers

you tried any of the webistes that break the journey in to smaller bits? They sometimes help you avoid peak rate tickets

To be fair £40 doesnt sound so bad, I pay nearly £30 for Manchester regularly - but only £13 to Leeds . . .

Cheaper would be a car share or coach (if you can cope with the journey times)

You cannot buy or book train tickets to Liverpool for most journeys in August as it is too early.

The prices shown are the standard fares.

Liverpool Lime Street is closed from June 2 to July 29 and advanced tickets are not being offered for these dates and after- in case the work overruns.

Use the East Midlands trains website and keep an eye on the dates you wish to travel on.

Split at Manchester or Stockport.

Do not use Trainline.

If you want the cheapest deal go to the National Rail Enquiries site at; https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/ or East Midlands website at; https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/ I've found an outbound ticket from Sheffield to Liverpool for £8.50 and a return leg at £8.40. It's too early to book for most of August yet and these are for very specfic, and almost certainly inconvenient, trains.

The big issue is if you want to be at Sheffield station at 6.18 am and if you're not fussy which day you go or come back. Standard off peak return is about £36.50 but returns can be bought for less.

You cannot buy or book train tickets to Liverpool for most journeys in August as it is too early.

The prices shown are the standard fares.

Liverpool Lime Street is closed from June 2 to July 29 and advanced tickets are not being offered for these dates and after- in case the work overruns.

Use the East Midlands trains website and keep an eye on the dates you wish to travel on.

Split at Manchester or Stockport.

Do not use Trainline.

This is the best advice you will get, mate.

If you are flexible on times, why not look at BlaBlaCar?

https://www.blablacar.co.uk/

Ridesharing, have used it quite a lot as the driver. I get some petrol contribution and you get a ride there.....

Edited by jamesogt

I paid £6.50 each way, a couple of years ago on Traveline.

I paid £6.50 each way, a couple of years ago on Traveline.

Traveline does not sell tickets, it is a journey planner.

The journey information provided is not always the cheapest, most convenient or fastest.

They may send your information to another company.

Stick to the train operating companies- they are always the cheapest.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

People can suggest different sites all they want, the fact of the matter is advance tickets for almost the whole of August arent even on sale yet, as per Annie's post.

May as well lock the thread.

or use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ which is National Rail Enquiries and I've never had an issue with them.

A train operating company will set the standard fares for a route.

Other operators on that route can offer discounted fares such as Advance.

Only train operating companies sell train tickets. They have to sell every available ticket in the country from all operators.

Some people prefer to use one train company for all their ticket buying because:

they have a better search facility

better format

they give nectar points.

offer discounts/offers on their oen routes.

they keep your card details for faster transactions.

offer free postal delivery.

Other companies like Trainline act as agents and buy the tickets from the train company for you. To make a profit they charge you.

Other organizations like National Rail Enquiries do not sell tickets, they send you to another company in this case either Trans Pennine or East Midlands Trains.

The railway station will sell you the cheapest ticket they know about, but they are not expected to trawl computers for split tickets etc. If you already know what you want, they will sell you it.

People can suggest different sites all they want, the fact of the matter is advance tickets for almost the whole of August arent even on sale yet, as per Annie's post.

May as well lock the thread.

You can get email notification on The trainline.com when advanced fares are on sale.

Simple enoughto register and sign up.