Cars and Motorbikes -Why have Loud Exhausts??

Noticed it a lot more since nice weather has come;) , Cars and Motorbikes With what seems like very loud Exhausts - Hillsborough areas

Is there a reason to have them?? personally I cant see point of them Making a racket and can hear them 3/4 streets away ;)

Ban them I say - or is there a valid reason to have them

probably just to upset owls fans, i'm not sure

small <removed> or inferiority complexes

Edited by nikki-red

back in my youth I had an insanely fast GSXR11 that Stuart Royle tuned for me - I insisted on a quiet exhaust (which made his life difficult) because it attracted too much attention otherwise

In all the years I rode it only got stopped once, ironically in a 30mph zone - IMO loud pipes on the road are for folks who want an audience or dont know any better (or have really small weeners?)

Yep, if it aint noisy, it aint fast. I was at a car show today, parked up with a load of sports cars. Most were just too flipping quiet as they drove in and out, mine wasn't...but makes a healthy rasp.

the exhaust noise is inversely proportional to brain cell count

the exhaust noise is inversely proportional to brain cell count

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: And that also goes for the bass system pumping out bad music

Edited by hackey lad

Depends entirely on the car....most of the time on all the lovely 1.0L Corsas with 5" tips etc they are pointless and are usually reducing performance because the engines need the back pressure. With turboed cars you usually want to get the exhaust gases out as quickly as possible, hence removing restrictions like silencers. AFAIK.

But it's personal preference, plus well-designed exhausts tend to be expensive, cheap ones tend to be loud :)

Personally I prefer quiet exhausts, or only as noisy as they need to be.

back in my youth I had an insanely fast GSXR11 that Stuart Royle tuned for me - I insisted on a quiet exhaust (which made his life difficult) because it attracted too much attention otherwise

In all the years I rode it only got stopped once, ironically in a 30mph zone - IMO loud pipes on the road are for folks who want an audience or dont know any better (or have really small weeners?)

That was one of the things I liked about my GSX R1100. It was insanely fast but so quiet!

Unlike my present bike:)

Depends what the cars are.

Out here every other car is a (real) Merc AMG, a (real) Audi RS or a tuned Mustang/Yank tank. With the odd supercar thrown in (Lambo, Ferrari, etc.)

They don’t come in “quiet version” to begin with: it’s the 4+ liter engine that’s loud, not the exhaust.

The obvious bonus point, is that there are no chavtastic 1.0 Corsas and 1.4 Civics :D

There are laws and regulations governing this subject, but they are rarely enforced, so most folk think they can get away with doing what they like.