Midland Station. One of the Most Popular.

Only terminating services and those "turning round" use the bay platforms and will be specific ones dependent on pathing, through trains (i.e. once going to Liverpool and places in Scotland) use 13/14. This cant change, for obvious reasons.

Plus not every train can pull up in the bay platforms alongside the one everyone on that one wants to get on next :hihi:

In any case if you have a through Advance ticket and your first train is late, you can get the next one and maybe make a claim under Delay Repay if the delay is sufficient enough to do so.

I was not thinking of the bay platforms but the through ones (13/14). I am not after compensation I was talking about the frustration due to the fact that on these two platforms the trains usually stop at opposite ends of the platform

I was not thinking of the bay platforms but the through ones (13/14). I am not after compensation I was talking about the frustration due to the fact that on these two platforms the trains usually stop at opposite ends of the platform

You mean opposite end of the station?

Well thats how it is, you cant have terminating services using 13/14 and you cant have through services to Liverpool/Scotland/Preston/Lake District/Blackpool etc using the bay platforms.

the east midlands service to Liverpool will usually stop at the end furthest away from sheffield and the airport or other trains towards stockport will leave from the end nearest sheffield and vis versa (not sure if the platforms are N/S or E/W hence the imprecise description

I suppose it’s a bit like voting for your favourite bus stop.

Is that a request?

Is that a request?

I thought these days all stops were request stops

Disagree with Op. Man pic is large but is a horrendous station.

Catching a train or disembarking on a through platform is terrible. Miles away from everywhere, crowded cold wet platforms. Then you have the ticket Nazis who attack you with demands to see railcars and tickets whilst your carrying a toddler, pushing a baby in a pram and trying to find a connecting train.

In the main stations the departure boards are a muddle. A platform may have 3 trains on it and only 1 will be yours but the boards don't say platform 3 a,b,c etc, so you have to find someone and ask them, that is if you actually notice that there is more than 1 train. I have no idea how man pic got the same rating as Sheffield.

Sheffield has some faults, but it is fairly simple and easy to use for such a relatively busy station.

Then you have the ticket Nazis who attack you with demands to see railcars and tickets whilst your carrying a toddler, pushing a baby in a pram and trying to find a connecting train.

How dare they check you havent travelled for free.

I find the main problem at Manchester P is the train info when transferring trains with poorly positioned monitors. Last time I passed through there were three trains in the same platform and the info was so poor that had not the guard come through everyone on the train would have been carted off to the wrong destination.

This almost happened to me too. Train to Sheffield from M. Airport got to Picadilly and we were told to get off and get on the train "in front of us on platform x". Everyone in my carriage did just that, and then eventually realised that was the wrong train (thankfully before it left, but unfortunately not before the correct one had left). How hard can it be to give correct instructions?

Disagree with Op. Man pic is large but is a horrendous station.

Catching a train or disembarking on a through platform is terrible. Miles away from everywhere, crowded cold wet platforms. Then you have the ticket Nazis who attack you with demands to see railcars and tickets whilst your carrying a toddler, pushing a baby in a pram and trying to find a connecting train.

In the main stations the departure boards are a muddle. A platform may have 3 trains on it and only 1 will be yours but the boards don't say platform 3 a,b,c etc, so you have to find someone and ask them, that is if you actually notice that there is more than 1 train. I have no idea how man pic got the same rating as Sheffield.

Sheffield has some faults, but it is fairly simple and easy to use for such a relatively busy station.

The problem with labeling the platform A,B,C is that train lengths vary but they should think more about the communication

I also seem to recall that on the through platforms having to go up the steps (with luggage) to find which platform my train would depart from and then find it was from the through one anyway - poorly positioned monitors.

I do sympathise with you Emma not only do they not appreciate the difficulty of digging out the ticket but they will offer no help (I am not asking for help myself) - once upon a time rail staff would help a lady in this situation (indeed will often still do so at smaller stations)

The problem with labeling the platform A,B,C is that train lengths vary but they should think more about the communication

Are carriages a standard length? If so then just have one zone per carriage, then its easy to specify a list of consecutive zones for a given train?

No carriages are not the same length they will depend on the type of train.

I agree the problem is easy to solve all that is needed is moveable display boards positioned where they can be seen indicating which train is which.

How's that new layout working, then: well? And the taxi access?

It works absolutely fine. I never have an issue collecting the significant other when she returns from one of her journey's. You get half an hour in the car park for free, if you plan it right that is more than enough to collect.

Getting a taxi is dead-easy, getting a taxi there is as well. Since they moved the drop-off I have noticed a lot of folk abusing it as a collection point and I'd like to see it better controlled by the station, but other than that, it is absolutely fine.

I genuinely don't get what the grumbling is about, it is a lot worse at most other stations.