Midland Station. One of the Most Popular.

There is now a dedicated drop off, a free short stay car park and a multi story car park.

How's that new layout working, then: well? And the taxi access?

Sheffield Station is very nice. Airy, never rushed, great pub attached.

Manchester Piccadilly is lovely until you find yourself waiting for a train on Platform 14 in the depths of winter.

How's that new layout working, then: well? And the taxi access?

Never have a problem of being dropped off or picking up by a private or black cab.

Walking to or from town is a much better- tram is also available. A very simple, wide, pleasant and stress free approach.

Car access can be a little bit of a pain in the arse and even people coming by bus is a pain as very few buses actually use the bus station these days. There will likely be a redevelopment for HS2, if they want new terminating platforms as seems likely the logical place for this is where the taxi rank and drop off is right now, so they will need to have new arrangements.

Edited by smiggs

Who cares? It’s a train station. You get there 5 to 10 minutes before your train, get on and get off in yet another soulless station.

I suppose it’s a bit like voting for your favourite bus stop.

I find the main problem at Manchester P is the train info when transferring trains with poorly positioned monitors. Last time I passed through there were three trains in the same platform and the info was so poor that had not the guard come through everyone on the train would have been carted off to the wrong destination.

Another problem at Pic. is arriving on the through platforms as often the arriving train stops at one end and you see the train you want arriving on the other side but by the time you get to the other end (with luggage) it has gone. Less of a problem heading to the airport but a pain if it is the Sheffield service

Like Smiggs I do not use a station for food or shopping

I find the main problem at Manchester P is the train info when transferring trains with poorly positioned monitors. Last time I passed through there were three trains in the same platform and the info was so poor that had not the guard come through everyone on the train would have been carted off to the wrong destination.

Another problem at Pic. is arriving on the through platforms as often the arriving train stops at one end and you see the train you want arriving on the other side but by the time you get to the other end (with luggage) it has gone. Less of a problem heading to the airport but a pain if it is the Sheffield service

Like Smiggs I do not use a station for food or shopping

That is why they suggest a minimum connection time at train stations. If you choose to give yourself less than this, it is at your own risk.

One thing the Sheffield station has going for it is that The Sheffield Tap is one of the best train station bars in the country.

That is why they suggest a minimum connection time at train stations. If you choose to give yourself less than this, it is at your own risk.

Regarding the connection yes I know about minimum connections but it does assume the train is on time. Whilst I am sure Network rail have "operational" reasons or Health and safety ones it is a frustrating experience whereas if the two trains were to pull up along side on the opposite platforms the transfer could be made.

Regarding the connection yes I know about minimum connections but it does assume the train is on time. Whilst I am sure Network rail have "operational" reasons or Health and safety ones it is a frustrating experience whereas if the two trains were to pull up along side on the opposite platforms the transfer could be made.

Only terminating services and those "turning round" use the bay platforms and will be specific ones dependent on pathing, through trains (i.e. once going to Liverpool and places in Scotland) use 13/14. This cant change, for obvious reasons.

Plus not every train can pull up in the bay platforms alongside the one everyone on that one wants to get on next :hihi:

In any case if you have a through Advance ticket and your first train is late, you can get the next one and maybe make a claim under Delay Repay if the delay is sufficient enough to do so.

Edited by EmmaJones76

Every station has a minimum connecting time.

This connecting time is also included when you book tickets which involves changing train.

Sheffield is 7 minutes.

So it is possible to catch an earlier connection if you are savvy with the station layout.

If you split ticket and you fail to give yourself enough time to connect then you are not entitled to Delay Repay or another Advance ticket