Midland Station. One of the Most Popular.

Dont forget Sheffield station has the Sheffield Tap (fantastic pub in the old waiting rooms) - it must enhance the station appeal surely

Agree about the access but presumably that is included in the high satisfaction rating?

Leaving Midland Station & arriving at Manchester Piccadilly is like advancing 50 years in 50 minutes.

As Anna rightly points out Piccadilly is let down by the through platforms confusing disconnection between West Coast and other platforms and in the main atrium. This makes Piccadilly confusing for those travelling through and will no doubt affect satisfaction ratings. The only complication at Sheffield is that people might get confused about which exit to use. While Piccadilly does have far better facilities when compared to Sheffield station this is supplementary, I don't go to a train station to have a meal or shop.

Piccadilly also has congestion problems and these are being sorted by adding additional platforms using the Ordsail chord to link Manchester stations together meaning services can stop at both Victoria and Piccadilly.

Manchester Picc was completely re-built from the ground up in the 1960s.

Not quite. It was originally the site of London Road station, and at its bottom is a Metrolink station bearing that name.

...Re platform 7 I don't understand why they don't just open doors on both sides of trains? Is there a reason for this?

Because passengers could fall onto the ground at the end of platform 7/6.

The east face (7/8,) of platform 7 is longer than the west face(7/6).

The shorter versions of the Class 222 Meridian trains to London can just fit all doors onto the east side.

On modern trains the guards/divers can control which doors on which side open. Opening on one side reduces an error being made.

It was possible to get off on either side if arriving on a original DMU.

Well deserved. I am not a regular train user, but Sheffield station has got things in order. It is capable of dealing with large amounts of passengers yet doesn't feel like a ginormous concoction of sprawling commercial enterprise.

The square in front, with the water features, is beautiful and many cities in the world would wish for a nicer first impression coming out of the station.

Still, it was better with proper vehicle access there.

In what year was there "...proper vehicle access..."?

I suspect the questionnaire never got to users of Platform 2C! Like Platform 7 trains could open doors on both sides, but always open the ones facing west and Platform 2.

In what year was there "...proper vehicle access..."?

Until the taxi rank and drop-off area disappeared to make way for the 'retail opportunity' and 'water feature'.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
Mis-type corrected

As a very regular traveller of Sheffield station I think it could do a lot better...cold waiting rooms in winter and greenhouses in summer, the stupid one way staircase system that I seem to follow the rules but hardly anyone else does (there always seems to be someone with a bike going down the up staircase and getting in my way).

A far better station is Stockport. Better layout, cleaner and lovely waiting rooms, managed by virgin trains. A worse station is Derby which has a bad layout, cold waiting rooms unless the sun is on the glass but they don't have the emt one way staircase system.

Edited by Sheff2006

Until the taxi rank and drop-off area disappeared to make way for the 'retail opportunity' sand 'water feature'.

Was that the pre 2005 version, where buses, taxis, cars and PO lorries and vans considerately allowed the vast majority of station users to weave between them and the dual carriageway?

Was that when Sunday amenities was a barrow selling newspapers?

There is now a dedicated drop off, a free short stay car park and a multi story car park.

For the double in number of passengers there are amenities and segregated access, making it a lot safer let alone more practical.

---------- Post added 08-05-2018 at 00:42 ----------

A far better station is Stockport. Better layout, cleaner and lovely waiting rooms, managed by virgin trains. A worse station is Derby which has a bad layout, cold waiting rooms unless the sun is on the glass but they don't have the emt one way staircase system.

As a regular visitor to Stockport I agree they have done a very good job.

Very well managed by Virgin as well.

It has involved demolishing and re building a large derelict area.

Stockport is a much simpler station with no terminating services and very little transfer- this is reflected in the much smaller and fewer number of amenities.

The shorter versions of the Class 222 Meridian trains to London can just fit all doors onto the east side.

Hadn't realised this, thanks.