Printer for basic infrequent use & wireless

Could someone please recommend a wireless value printer for infrequent use, i know its a basic question to most of you but i am a very basic user needing a pointer please. I am not bothered about photos etc just basic for A4 paper....Thanks

GOT AN XP -45 from computer shop at Handsworth about £50 . Inks on internet about £8 of net 4 colours plus one extra black. You should also use it once a month . Also you should get a cable and keep it direct to router if possible only a few pounds and make sure its long enough i got a 5 foot one

Edited by spider1

As above..

I got a XP-245 all-in-one from Amazon for £30 a few weeks ago with free delivery, easy to set up as well. It seems hard to get just a basic printer these-days that will accept compatible ink cartridges which will keep the cost down. The ones that come with the printer are OK but only have a small capacity and are more of a trial.

Edited by apelike

If you are looking at infrequent use I would go for a laser as ink jets need two prints a week even if only 6 x 4 prints. Our old Canon Pixma MG7550 died recently and it got replaced with TS8161 pixma. Managed to get refund on inks for old printer so only cost me £37 and it is in the attic one floor above router and I can print from smart phone on ground floor.

Laser printer if infrequent use, (Inks dry out if not used) black and white prints, again laser.

I've got a Samsung M2026W Mono-laser from Office Outlet, at the time the printer was £56.00 and replacement toner £59.00. I print one or two A4 sheets per week.

Occasionally it loses wireless connection with the BT Smarthub, and its a bit of a pain to re-establish. Works with Windows-7 & Windows-10.

https://www.officeoutlet.com/paper-and-printing/laser-printers/mono-laser-single-function-printers/samsung-xpress-sl-m2026w-wireless-mono-printer/

If you are looking at infrequent use I would go for a laser as ink jets need two prints a week even if only 6 x 4 prints.

It may be good practice to print a page now and then but I have never had a problem with an inkjet drying up or not printing even after a few months of no use.

Get a laser after having inkjets that need head cleaning and using all the new ink ....never looked back !

Thankyou for all the advice,very much appreciated and extremely useful. ta

Should have mentioned that if you get an Epson and use compatible ink cartridges then don't allow it to update its software as they then may not work.

Thanks for that info,very much appreciated

Depending how infrequent, you may want to look at the HP Instant Ink printers.

If you print less than 20 pages per month you'll be eligible for their free tier (basically you get free ink, for the lifetime of the printer).

Other tiers are 50 pages for £1.99. 100 pages for £3.99 or 300 pages for £7.99 (it makes no difference if you print high quality photos or text in B&W, each is classed as a page - so it makes sense to set the quality to maximum on every print job), and unused pages carry over to the next month.

You'll find printers out there with cheaper per page cost in terms of ink (except the free tier, of course). These are very much about convenience, in that you'll never run out of ink. Ink levels are monitored and as soon as you start to run low they'll post out full replacement cartridges and a (freepost) recycle bag for your old cartridges.

You can get a suitable printer, including 4 months worth of ink, for <£40 (i.e. HP ENVY 5030)