Possible relocation of lowedges surgery

What about the avenue medical practice at the end of reney ave just by St. Peter's church, or is this one relocating too?

What about the avenue medical practice at the end of reney ave just by St. Peter's church, or is this one relocating too?

Registering there is one of two alternatives being suggested if you don't want to move with the Doctors to Jordanthorpe (the other alternative being Baslow Road in Totley).

I guess the question is how much capacity do they have if everyone tries to register there?

I used to go to the Meadowhead surgery, then it moved to Greenhill Old School, then that merged with Lowedges, now it will be Jordanthorpe - every time they move they're getting further away from me. Sadly, consolidate and merge seems to be the way things are going. Fewer, larger centres rather than small independent ones. Not just in health care either - retail, media, transport, telecoms - it just seems to be the way things are going.

unfortunately its all down to economies of scale, isn't it? Medical or dental practices with one or two practitioners will have much the same overheads as those in larger practices, but are more exposed to staff loss or absence. It's a shame that 'the personal touch's is lost, but at least you can see someone when needed. :(

unfortunately its all down to economies of scale, isn't it? Medical or dental practices with one or two practitioners will have much the same overheads as those in larger practices, but are more exposed to staff loss or absence. It's a shame that 'the personal touch's is lost, but at least you can see someone when needed. :(

I think the general point is the new practice could be the best in the world but if you can't actually get to it then any discussion of the quality of care being provided there is academic!

Registering there is one of two alternatives being suggested if you don't want to move with the Doctors to Jordanthorpe (the other alternative being Baslow Road in Totley).

I guess the question is how much capacity do they have if everyone tries to register there?

There's also the new one at Woodseats library and I'm fairly sure the one at the end of Abbey Lane had a sign up saying they were taking new patients. There are bus stops near both of these.

There's also the new one at Woodseats library and I'm fairly sure the one at the end of Abbey Lane had a sign up saying they were taking new patients. There are bus stops near both of these.

My partner was registered at what was Cobnar Road surgery, when we moved to Bradway he was advised that he should move surgeries as they wouldn’t be able to honour a home visit should he require one. So Woodseats may not be available as an alternative.

I moved from Jordanthorpe to School Road, the receptionists were so rude, the doctors were locums and you could never get an appointment hence going to Meadowgreen, who I cannot fault at all.

I'm lucky that I can drive, but coming from Low Edges and surrounding areas on that side to Jordanthorpe is a not an easy journey if you don't drive, and you are ill. The chemist at Jordanthorpe can't cope now, never mind taking on prescriptions from a second practice.

I moved from Jordanthorpe to School Road, the receptionists were so rude, the doctors were locums and you could never get an appointment hence going to Meadowgreen, who I cannot fault at all.

I'm lucky that I can drive, but coming from Low Edges and surrounding areas on that side to Jordanthorpe is a not an easy journey if you don't drive, and you are ill. The chemist at Jordanthorpe can't cope now, never mind taking on prescriptions from a second practice.

He can't cope because he's too busy talking with the staff or wandering through into the doctors.

I grew up on the Lowedges estate in the 1950's & 1960's. There were no doctors surgeries on the estate in those days. Our doctors was on St. Mary's gate near Bramall Lane. We didn't have access to a car so every time my sister or I needed to go to the doctors it was a bus trip for us and our mother.

In the early days of the estate the bus used to terminate at Four lane ends (Meadowhead) and it was a walk back on to the estate via the 'cinder track' which was located near the TA building.

Most of the time the Avenue are running at least 45 minutes behind as it is, so if everyone relocates there I can't even begin to imagine the delays that will happen.

I grew up on the Lowedges estate in the 1950's & 1960's. There were no doctors surgeries on the estate in those days. Our doctors was on St. Mary's gate near Bramall Lane. We didn't have access to a car so every time my sister or I needed to go to the doctors it was a bus trip for us and our mother.

In the early days of the estate the bus used to terminate at Four lane ends (Meadowhead) and it was a walk back on to the estate via the 'cinder track' which was located near the TA building.

My partner grew up in lowedges in the 60s and he says there was a gp surgery in the house next to greenhill library on Hemper lane. I know this is greenhill not lowedges, but surely this was nearer than st Mary's gate or nearer than walking from bus stop at meadowhead back onto estate. This was in 1967 and is now the practice that is located next to St peters church.

My partner grew up in lowedges in the 60s and he says there was a gp surgery in the house next to greenhill library on Hemper lane. I know this is greenhill not lowedges, but surely this was nearer than st Mary's gate or nearer than walking from bus stop at meadowhead back onto estate. This was in 1967 and is now the practice that is located next to St peters church.

Yes I used to use the doctors on Hemper Lane, Dr.John's senior, who was succeeded by his son before moving the surgery to Reney Avenue.

I wouldn't advise anyone registering with Reney Avenue. My mother thought she had suffered a heart attack, and rather than bother anyone, she walked to the surgery and explained to the receptionists, who told her to go home and phone up for an appointment like everyone else has to. She didn't tell anyone about this for three months and has refused to see a GP for many years since. Probably the right attitude as she has outlived everyone else in the family.