Water Lane & Water Lane Prison Cells

Hello Everyone,

I'm keen to know any information about Water Lane Prison Cells. What were they like? Any pictures? Are they still there? Are there any records of the prison cells in the mid 1960's?

Kind Regards

LouBeck

Edited by LouBeck

Hello Everyone,

I'm keen to know any information about Water Lane Prison Cells. What were they like? Any pictures? Are they still there? Are there any records of the prison cells in the mid 1960's?

Kind Regards

LouBeck

I doubt there are any records of people who" fell" down the steps to the cells on a Saturday night. Lol :o

I was locked up there overnight on a trumpt up charge of drunk &disordaly 1965 horrable victorians cells mug of tea & curled up bread&jam for breckys went to court that morning through a corridor under the r3oad up into dock find 5£ didnt get caught again

I doubt there are any records of people who" fell" down the steps to the cells on a Saturday night. Lol :o

Or hung them selves

I was locked up there overnight on a trumpt up charge of drunk &disordaly 1965 horrable victorians cells mug of tea & curled up bread&jam for breckys went to court that morning through a corridor under the r3oad up into dock find 5£ didnt get caught again

This is really interesting. It sounds just like I thought it would. On google I can't find water lane. Is it still there?

Can anyone clarify exactly where Water Lane was? I always thought it was or near by where Castle Green is?

Can anyone clarify exactly where Water Lane was? I always thought it was or near by where Castle Green is?
It was roughly parallel with Castle Green and a few yards to the west, leading from the corner of Castle Street & Snig Hill down to Bridge Street. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" photo looking up from Bridge Street.

It was roughly parallel with Castle Green and a few yards to the west, leading from the corner of Castle Street & Snig Hill down to Bridge Street. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" photo looking up from Bridge Street.

Thanks hillsbro, for some reason I always thought the lock up known as Water lane was actually the cells in the old town hall come crown court.

Anybody remember the entertainments on the piece of waste ground opposite Water Lane police station. The area had been made level and ashed over after the war and it was handy for selling roasted chestnuts on in winter, selling books and magazines, fire eaters, and escape artists from ropes and chains,(not out of the nick itself). I even saw a 'Find the Lady' con man doing his stuff one time, talk about a chancer!