Police find a civil war cannonball

I can see how they made the original error, thinking it was a civil war cannonball, it probably came from here: Origin of weight

Sounds like all the experts thought it was a cannonball, possibly cos they wanted it to be? when every normal person said it was off a bench press, prolly cos most have family that worked with them?

There are lots of pictures on the web of cannonballs with holes in them. So they did exist.

Presumably there will be identifiable differences between a fly press weight and a cannon ball that the experts will be looking at. Probably not made of the same composition of metals, for a start.

So presumably the Roman Chariot fished from the Don last week that was believed to belong to the Centurion Tesco might also be something more modern?

Maybe it was an old cannonball converted to be used as a fly press weight!

So presumably the Roman Chariot fished from the Don last week that was believed to belong to the Centurion Tesco might also be something more modern?

Might have been centurion ofos. Was it yellow with two wheels or silver with four? That would be the defining factor.

Found something similar to this yesterday while magnet fishing in the river don near Attercliffe , only difference is the one we’ve found has no hole straight through the middle, anyone know best people to contact to confirm what we’ve actually found ? 

I'd take it to Weston Park Museum

Read (a good while ago) that an artifact was found somewhere around Rivelin turned out to be a type of metal badge issued to Roman soldiers when they were de-mobilized from the army.

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

I'd take it to Weston Park Museum

Yeah I think that’s what we will end up doing 

On 02/05/2018 at 15:07, max said:

I can see how they made the original error, thinking it was a civil war cannonball, it probably came from here: Origin of weight

who worked there then Jeff capes  

Dug up in the garden a possible canister shot 1 inch and half round weighing half a pound.

As a kid in the 50s my route home after school was on Club Mill 

Lane,in those days I used to come across lots of large steel balls of all sizes some quite large!.This was in the area where Hattersley and Ridge was situated,I presumed they were ball bearings for large machinery !.I remember mistaking one for a ball and took a running kick at it nearly breaking my toes,I didn,t repeat that trick again!.Perhaps some of those ended up in the River Don!.

Edited by old tup
Laptop aquiring a life of its own!.