Electric black cab

it makes absolute sense to me.

May be you are the one with the problem pal :hihi:

i understood what you said. its that guy trying to look clever

---------- Post added 08-06-2018 at 13:29 ----------

if you read the efficiency of a electric motor compare to a diesel . especially in stop start traffic then you might understand why electric is the way forward.

Guest busdriver1
i understood what you said. its that guy trying to look clever

---------- Post added 08-06-2018 at 13:29 ----------

if you read the efficiency of a electric motor compare to a diesel . especially in stop start traffic then you might understand why electric is the way forward.

All we need is more green ways of producing the electric for them and greener ways of manufacturing them. There seems to be more credibility with Hydrogen fuel. The only emission seems to be water. This appears to be the direction buses are taking in many places.

---------- Post added 08-06-2018 at 17:33 ----------

a new 'London' taxi, costs over £50,000

about the same as a new leccy/hybrid then.

if you were a taxi driver, and were given £50,000 following an insurance claim (not your fault), to replace your vehicle, you'd be insane if you *didn't* buy an electric/hybrid.

Thats not how it works though. The car is owned by the company fighting the claim, they hire it to the owner of the damaged car whilst his is being repaired, but present the bill to the insurance company of the car that hit it. Hire rates are normally WAY above the market average, but, the injured party can keep going in business so he's alright. The problem is that this type of system results in massive hikes in insurance policies as insurers have to recover their costs so we all pay for it eventually.

You don’t have a clue, most electric car owners uses renewable energy like https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/ as it provide cheaper on road charging aswell

Believe that if you will. It's not reyt in my opinion. Glad my hybrid has gone, cost way more to run than a diesel.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of replacing the battery, 5 year life in the one we had. Cost to replace, a miserly £5k.

If the black cab is used through a 24 hour cycle as some state, it must have at least 2 spare batteries some where to keep it running. You cannot fast charge the single battery ALL the time as it can affect the battery in a negative way, that's why they only charge to 80% I believe. Plus it takes longer to get the last 20% in than the first 80%.

All that glitters is not gold. We were promised fillet steak, but ended up with ox tail.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 08-06-2018 at 18:05 ----------

I saw this electric cab on the back of a Richmond Recovery truck this morning outside a taxi garage on Attercliffe Road this morning. Can’t be very reliable if it’s broken down already! :hihi:

Flat battery?.

Angel1.

I'm still none the wiser :huh::huh::huh::huh:

You're saying the cab is paid for from the proceeds of insurance fraud?

No not fraud.what I'm saying is that the guy who owns them,uses them as replacement cabs when another cabbie has an accident.The other party (insurance) pays for them until the drivers cab is fixed.ie;he owns a claims company.

No not fraud.what I'm saying is that the guy who owns them,uses them as replacement cabs when another cabbie has an accident.The other party (insurance) pays for them until the drivers cab is fixed.ie;he owns a claims company.

oh I see, I understand now :D

---------- Post added 11-06-2018 at 10:42 ----------

You don’t have a clue, most electric car owners uses renewable energy like https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/ as it provide cheaper on road charging aswell

How do you ensure your energy comes from purely renewable sources though?

Doesn't all electricity just go onto the national grid and the charge station takes it from there?

At the moment Electric cars actually cost more to the environment that none electric, With the installation of charging points, and burning of fossil fuels to generate electricity for said charging points, it actually does more harm at the moment than without..

however, when at least around 60% of cars are electric or hybrid, and there are double the current charging points, then it will take approx 20 years to pull us into the green and actually be beneficial...

Note: this is from memory, trying to find the original link I read with all the numbers/stats and calculations.... will post if/when I find it..

Part of the point though is to remove pollution from cities, its not just about green sources.

Part of the point though is to remove pollution from cities, its not just about green sources.

Need to massively improve public transport in most cities though.

Vast majority of people can't afford to buy a brand new electric car, nor can they afford congestion charge taxes.

Everyone wants to use London as a model for pollution taxes, but no-one wants to install the same level of public transport options available in the capital.

a new 'London' taxi, costs over £50,000

about the same as a new leccy/hybrid then.

if you were a taxi driver, and were given £50,000 following an insurance claim (not your fault), to replace your vehicle, you'd be insane if you *didn't* buy an electric/hybrid.

would you bet £50,000 that diesels won't be banned from city centres in the next 5 years?

when i'm in charge, they will be.

(never mind the claims, even new diesels are found to produce waaaay over the legal exhaust limits - and those legal limits don't even represent safe levels)

It just amazes me that if diesel pollution is so high, why the good folk of London are not dropping like flies on the streets. Maybe it's just a huge scam by the Government of the day to fleece our pockets a little more.

Angel1.

It's not good for your health, I don't think anyone disagree's with that.

Claims that tens of thousands a year are dying from it (in this country) I find hard to swallow though.

Many other cities have far worse pollution, you'd expect millions to die each year there right??

Claims that tens of thousands a year are dying from it (in this country) I find hard to swallow though.

The figures quoted are just statistical estimates, there's no way of checking actual figures.

This article explains it: https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/news/does-air-pollution-kill-40000-people-each-year-uk

and this BBC article discusses it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39129270

Yes I realise, but it's still totted out at every opportunity - a favourite soundbite of politicians and environmental groups.