I've quit smoking!

Just to say that I too have just quit smoking after 15 years. Last night I smoked my last rollup, stubbed it out then threw away all the ashtray, lighters, papers - ie anything that might remind me of smoking.

For the record Stagewalker, I've used the Allen Carr "Easyway" method, which has been mentioned many times on the forum, like here...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12584

Yes, today I'm still thinking about smoking and could easily smoke one if i had one to hand. However they say it gets easier the longer you go without one, and once your body's lost its nicotine craving (which can take up to 3 weeks) you've pretty much cracked it.....

Stagewalker, throw them away.

Why have them?

Do nonsmokers have a packet on their desk?

Whilever its there, you're a smoker in denial with temptation staring them in the face.

Thanks once again to all posters.

Respect to all the people that have also given up. Well done! :)

I have to say Rooby that the unopened cigarette packet on my desk gives me more inspiration than you might think! Not only do I have my own motivation to stop, but, looking at this packet owned by a person that's been stopped for two years, I have his motivation too...simply by looking at the packet (I respect the person that gave me them hugely)

I can't take away the moments of weakness, I just have to learn to deal with them. Confronting my demons head on by looking at cigarettes, occasionally getting one out and touching it/sniffing it/pretending to smoke it/delete as appropriate is actually working well for me.

You can take away the water, but you can't quench the thirst! It's an ongoing process, and the road will be long.

I'm surrounded by cigarettes/smoke/discussions etc all the time. It isn't possible to remove them from my life entirely, as much as I'd like to....:hihi:

That said, I'm still doing well, I'm still proud of myself, and I haven't become one of those dreadful 'ex-smokers' :)

I have to say that one of my main motivations is that I've made an agreement with myself. I've agreed that if I do decide to smoke, that it will be a conscious decision. I will therefore smoke until the day that I depart this world.....because if I can't do it now, then I'll never realistically be able to do it. I really don't like the idea of smoking until the day I die, that makes me feel all sorts of emotions, therefore I don't smoke!

It works for me. For now!

One day at a time :)

I have to say posting on here is helpful too!

Stagey x

I have stopped biting my nails ,this is not a wind up) and to see them sprouting daily is a delight i no longer have fingers that look like stubs and it was easier than i thought .

I have been a habitual nail biter for year's next habit to kick is the the cigs .I am not a heavy smoker not even 10 a day but they have to go,this thread is a source of inspiration and i hope it is kept open for everyone who wants to quit .The encouragement from other forum members is just fantastic .

Just to say that I too have just quit smoking after 15 years. Last night I smoked my last rollup, stubbed it out then threw away all the ashtray, lighters, papers - ie anything that might remind me of smoking.

For the record Stagewalker, I've used the Allen Carr "Easyway" method, which has been mentioned many times on the forum, like here...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12584

Yes, today I'm still thinking about smoking and could easily smoke one if i had one to hand. However they say it gets easier the longer you go without one, and once your body's lost its nicotine craving (which can take up to 3 weeks) you've pretty much cracked it.....

Allen Carr’s 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking’ was a book that caught my eye via a post from Draggletail some months back.

I'd been a 5 cigar a day man for too many years, and earlier this year decided it was time to give up smoking yet again. So, whilst on holiday in Snowdonia in March, I sought out a bookshop in Bangor, made my purchase, and to my utter astonishment - stopped smoking immediately! I've now bought the author's book on the easy way to diet- though if you've seen me of late, you'll know I haven't yet read it! :hihi:

To my mate sTaGeWaLkEr: indeed, you are surrounded by smokers, cigarettes, etc. Please read this book - it will help you cope with these situations where temptation just to have one cigarette can easily destroy your willpower. You'll find this book invaluable, as BasilRathbon concurs.

Best wishes for every success to both of you. :thumbsup:

To my mate sTaGeWaLkEr: indeed, you are surrounded by smokers, cigarettes, etc. Please read this book - it will help you cope with these situations where temptation just to have one cigarette can easily destory your willpower.

But honey, I don't read....I'm read to! :hihi:

Does it have pictures like in Hello magazine?

I'm doing good thanks flower. If I do start to struggle though, I shall bear it in mind :)

Thanks

Me x

Excellent sTaGeWaLkEr! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

I stopped a week ago today, thanks to the nicotine patches and plastic cig I have to keep sucking on, I already feel far healthier but....but...every now and again,,, just once in a while... I could KILL! KILL! for just one drag of a cig!

Yes this is one of those times.

Ill be watching closely, I was on the verge of smoking again, but you inspired me to fight on.

Jabber. Stick in there my friend.

It's a struggle, but anything that's worth fighting for usually is....

I'm here anytime you fancy a moan - use my thread if you like :)

Best tactic when you want a fag is.......do something! Change your thought pattern. It is do-able!

The more you think about a fag, the more you want one. The more you want one, the more you're tempted. It's a vicious circle....so break it.

Next time you get the desire, do something you've been meaning to do for ages....clear out a cupboard, or tidy your desk, or go and throw the servants out of their quarters or something - just for a laugh!

:hihi:

All things that are helping me! :)

Stagey x

Thanks for the advice, I go for long walks when the urge overtakes me, I lift weights to try to put my mind off the idea of cigs, I try anything to distract myself and so far its working, and the idea of throwing the servants out of their quarters is....somehow alluring...I might even buy a riding crop and purge all my neuroses on their bare backs. Or would that be taking it a little too far? I`m sure I could buy a velvet covered crop from somewhere.

Well done sTaGeWaLkEr - I smoked for over 30 years - then stopped about 11years ago. Not had one since, and never miss it now. You should feel really proud of yourself, I know I did! Things just smell so much better - except of course other people's stale ciggy odour! :D