I've quit smoking!

Well done you - keep it up, as you say - one day at a time.

Congrats and well done.

Just please now avoid the temptation to become one of the self righteous, self congratulatory, smug, self satisfied annoying preaching brigade that so many ex smokers become!

Thanks for the replies all :)

A very good friend of mine who quit two years ago has given me a pack of 20 out of a carton of 200 that he keeps hold of, even though he's stopped.

I've agreed that if I ever smoke again, I will smoke one from this packet. He has signed the packet, and I will stick to my promise.

I can't tell you how much this gesture meant to me.

Almost three weeks. I'm doing well on my own, but this has given me yet more incentive.

But, like I've said, one day at a time.... :)

Stagey x

A very good friend of mine who quit two years ago has given me a pack of 20 out of a carton of 200 that he keeps hold of, even though he's stopped.

I've agreed that if I ever smoke again, I will smoke one from this packet. He has signed the packet, and I will stick to my promise.

Almost three weeks. I'm doing well on my own, but this has given me yet more incentive.

Stagey x

...please dont place temptation in front of you...i can promise you the longer you stop the easier it becomes...i never think about them now...the real secret of stopping smoking is to stop thinking about them...i went for about three months automatically reaching in my pockets for a fag then realising i couldnt have one...but as time goes on its easier and that feeling goes

Congrats and well done.

Just please now avoid the temptation to become one of the self righteous, self congratulatory, smug, self satisfied annoying preaching brigade that so many ex smokers become!

i think maybe i am a little bit like that..i dont mean to be..im not smug but i do preach a bit and i do tend to try to stop every smoker i know but for all the right reasons...because i dont want to see anybody suffer

I appreciate your sentiments Anlaby, but actually, having them around kind of gives me comfort. :)

If I really, really, wanted one, I would have one. I just don't. The pack is sat on my desk as I type. I feel no compulsion to open it (and I've had plenty of reasons with all the stress of the building work going on at Stagewalker Mansions)

It's not realistic to think that we can remove temptation from our way. It's everywhere we look. We just have to learn to deal with our thought processes in relation to the addiction.

So far, so good :)

Stagey x

Good for you!! quitting smoking must take a hell of a lot of effort and willpower :thumbsup:

-Good to hear you're ok anlabystreet. Your posting might motivate other forumers to quit smoking... :)

Stagey x

Just keep taking it one day at a time. i stopped 8 and a half years ago now and it was the hardest thing ive ever done but my dad was diagnosed with cancer just a couple of years before. seeing him having his lung taken away and with all the drains comming out of him and all the other patients in the same boat just made me more determined that i didnt want to end up like those people. not saying that now i dont smoke i wont get cancer because i just dont know but at least im reducing the risk. my health is a lot better i can actually run for a bus now, my kids are healthier not having me or their dad puffing away and my bank balance is definatley healtheir. so keep at it stagewalker. its a long road ahead but dont give up good luck.

Think more of the lives you will not be cutting short by not blowing all the poison over people who don't smoke.

PS Well done keep it up. :thumbsup:

probably still drives though, smoke skunk its tax free

Stagewalker, throw them away.

Why have them?

Do nonsmokers have a packet on their desk?

Whilever its there, you're a smoker in denial with temptation staring them in the face.