Shooting in Meersbrook?

That park used to be very nice indeed used to take my kids to that park on a regular basis . Would not dare to do that now ( and they both are 6 ft tall now) . You have got to feel sorry for the many decent people who live around that area must be scary . It only takes a few idiots to spoil for the many .

Gun crime is still significantly rarer than is other countries, such as the USA, where guns are more readily available. I suspect there would be far more gun crime if the Government hadn't banned them. Even in the UK, people who really need a gun are legally allowed them.

Yes, without a doubt.

That park used to be very nice indeed used to take my kids to that park on a regular basis . Would not dare to do that now ( and they both are 6 ft tall now) . You have got to feel sorry for the many decent people who live around that area must be scary . It only takes a few idiots to spoil for the many .

is it really that bad now ?

I last visited Meersbrook Park a couple of years ago, with a lady I was romantically linked with at the time, and it was a beautiful setting, especially at the top end of the park, where Bishops House stands.

The House itself was lovely, and the views from the top of the hill were amazing.

We stayed there for seemingly hours, watching the fine city of Sheffield go by.

The only unfortunate thing we noticed about the park that day was the dog mess. We had to watch every step because it seemed the entire park, the grass and even the paths were covered in dog poo.

Has the park really deteriorated into a no-go zone for young couples and families so much, that quickly ?

I last visited Meersbrook Park a couple of years ago, with a lady I was romantically linked with at the time, and it was a beautiful setting, especially at the top end of the park, where Bishops House stands.

The House itself was lovely, and the views from the top of the hill were amazing.

The only unfortunate thing we noticed about the park that day was the dog mess. We had to watch every step because it seemed the entire park, the grass and even the paths were covered in dog poo.

Has the park really deteriorated into a no-go zone for young couples and families so much, that quickly ?

Appears to be at the top end of the park, near Bishops House, as the 22 yr old victim was making his way to the Cross Scythes pub on Derbyshire Lane.

No it hasnt. I take my 2 children fairly regularly as its our local park. Ive never encountered anything or anyone that id deem a threat or dangerous. Although ive never walked through after 7pm.

Its often busy with dog walkers and people with children during the day.

Im so sad this has happened so close by, and wish the poor boy a speedy recovery.

I am afraid it is not very nice at the moment while the basic park is still there , on the occasion I went back there were several large groups of youngish people shouting and throwing bottles about . Did not stay long enough to make a comment on dog mess but were a couple of dog owners walking their dogs have got to say the dogs were on leads . It was quite late in the day when I went 6.30 is . So don't know about earlier in day. Like I said the park has still got its basics which is nice

Edited by parkydave

I really am shell shocked this has happened in Meersbrook park. I spent most of my childhood there, From walking the dogs,Sledging, Lots of courting. And walking back through at stupid hours from locarnos, I don't think there's a blade of grass i haven't trod in that place.

I've walked through the park most days for the last 5yrs and don't recognise the place you talk of not to allow 2 grown up kids to walk through it.

I can go through anytime of the day, and have done, 5am or 10pm and ive never seen any trouble or incidents.

I appreciate someone getting shot is a scary incident, Meersbrook Park however is still a lovely place.

Sorry stockers if my comments were too general for criticism of the park. May be my experience was just a one off or as I have got older feel a bit more vulnerable . Like I said the park has still got the lovely basics . I will be visiting my sister soon , who still lives at Firth Park and will pop into the park and stay a bit longer . Shooting incident is a bit scary but this could happen anywhere and should not stop us enjoying these places.

I doubt if there are many safer parks in the city than Meersbrook Park. It's usually full of families and dog walkers and in a leafy, safe suburb. To say you wouldn't allow your grown up children to go there is just ludicrous. Obviously it's a nasty incident but a homeless man (which is apparently what the police are looking for) with an air pistol could end up anywhere. A 17 year old was stabbed in Endcliffe Park about a year ago. Does that mean it's a no go area? No it doesn't. Most of the south west of Sheffield is pretty safe on the whole, other than hotspots such as the estates around Lowedges/Jordanthorpe and the lower part of Nether Edge where there has been persistent problems with gang violence/intimidation for years.

And to clarify: this incident didn't take place in the park. It took place on Norton Lees Lane just above the park which, if you look at crime statistics, falls into the top 10% safest parts of the country in terms of crime levels (based on the 2015 Indices of Multiple Deprivation).

Edited by amazon123

Sorry but like I just said my post was based on one visit and my experience must be a one off based on the posts about the park and I am sure your positive posts are more informed than my one off visit .

I for one will keep going. Slightly concerned that they haven't got this guy yet. If he's using a pellet gun to threaten and even attack pedestrians, he needs catching for everyone's safety.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android