Sheffield sportsgrounds.

Did Sanderson Kayser have a cricket ground on Dropingwell Lane, Kimberworth?

Did the Waterworks have a ground on Crookes Road?

Got it wrong Arthur Lees ground was behind Handsworth club,Middlewood ground was originally Hampton Sports

Who used to play on bottom pitch of Handsworth Rec ,had a wooden fence all the way round it ?

In my youth used to watch EA ,Bruno and Fitzi have some good battles

Just remembered SPT ground now Phoenix Sports on Bawtry road

Who used to play on the ground between Edgar Allens and the now Sheffield Hallam ground?

Edited by Audilad

Did that training ground -which the Owls used until 1966- belong to the Power station ?

No I don't think so the power station had a sports ground at Ringinglow at that time!,as a kid there was a great sportsground at the back of our cottage at the bend at the bottom of Liversey Street!.There was two tennis courts,a football pitch and a full size cricket pitch,they built a third cooling tower near the river on it when I was around 8 years old constructed a drag scraper around the ground and covered it all with thousands of tons of coal to feed the power station boilers!.This spoiled a beautiful area which has never recovered to this day!.

Worked at ESC in the 1960's & loved the sports ground. Played tennis once or twice a week for free (6 courts inc one grass if I remember right). Watched cricket there & played inter-departmental indoor games tournaments. Great place!

I played for aurora c.c. back in the eighties,sheffield league and sheffield works league.Facilities were spot on,good batting track for a start,spacious changing rooms,excellent bar for after match drinks.

I played football, cricket and tennis for Firth Browns. Tha facilities at Shirecliffe were second to none. Other works sports facilities were equally as good.

It cost all of 3p to be a member of the sports club, but some people moaned at the cost!

Firth Brown Tools ground at Cross hill, Ecclesfield now owned by the Caribbean club. A lovely ground where I played many games of football & cricket for the works team & also took my one & only hat trick at cricket. There were numerous great works sports grounds around in the 1960's/70's due to the fact that industry was thriving & companies employed hundreds of people & everybody had a small fee taken out of their wages to pay for the sports grounds I think we paid 5p per week in the mid 1970's hence they were always in great condition as most had a full time groundsman

---------- Post added 07-05-2018 at 03:48 ----------

Got it wrong Arthur Lees ground was behind Handsworth club,Middlewood ground was originally Hampton Sports

Who used to play on bottom pitch of Handsworth Rec ,had a wooden fence all the way round it ?

In my youth used to watch EA ,Bruno and Fitzi have some good battles

Just remembered SPT ground now Phoenix Sports on Bawtry road

Who used to play on the ground between Edgar Allens and the now Sheffield Hallam ground?

It may have been Stanley Tools ground.

Kind of dropped on this thread - stroke of luck!

I’m trying to do some research into the history of Waverley Lane where Middlewood Rovers play. Our current understanding is that it was used by Record Ridgeway prior to the club taking it on in the mid-80’s. Looking at some earlier posts that may be wrong or it may have been used by other sports clubs as well?

Any information anyone can provide would be fantastic - we’d like to put together a proper history ultimately but anything will help. We’d also love to get hold any old photos of the ground anyone may be aware of as well!

Many Thanks,

Middlewood Rovers JFC.

I think Hall and Pickles used to have a football ground at the back of the factory in Ecclesfield. My dad played in goal for them in the 1950s.

Kind of dropped on this thread - stroke of luck!

I’m trying to do some research into the history of Waverley Lane where Middlewood Rovers play. Our current understanding is that it was used by Record Ridgeway prior to the club taking it on in the mid-80’s. Looking at some earlier posts that may be wrong or it may have been used by other sports clubs as well?

Any information anyone can provide would be fantastic - we’d like to put together a proper history ultimately but anything will help. We’d also love to get hold any old photos of the ground anyone may be aware of as well!

Many Thanks,

Middlewood Rovers JFC.

I think the ground used to be named "Hamptons"

I think Hall and Pickles used to have a football ground at the back of the factory in Ecclesfield. My dad played in goal for them in the 1950s.

'Hall and Pickles' is a name from the past but what did they do and where ?

Hall and Pickles were a steel production outfit I think , bit Like the first company I worked for , Jessop Savilles . They are now a nation wide steel stockholders.